General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User steveyruss
(newbie) Thu 03-Feb-11 11:46:38
Print Post

termination charges

[link to this post]

Hi again. I started a thread not long ago seeking advice on aquiring my mac code from BT who were incooperative. As it turns out I didn't need it anyway. So I rang Sky and spoke to a helpful fellow who finally confirmed that the move was going ahead without the MAC. Thank you for informing me properly and quickly when these companies could not!

However I'm still having problems with BT frown

I opened up my mail this morning and I am being charged £70.81. I quote '....because of stopping your BT phone service within the minium term of your contact. This is known as an early termination charge'. I checked my record and my 18 month contract officially ended with BT 13 months ago. I spoke to my wife as well and it seems that she didn't accept any offers from marketing calls to renew. So I cannot understand why I am hit with such a charge for honouring my contract.

I found myself ringing BT again this morning a painful experience that I have not bothered ringing twice. The letter itself clearly states that I am being charged because it assumes I am still incontract. I kept quoting this and repeating it and the best answer they could give was that it was a switching over charged that I would have verbally been told about when entering the contact. This is nonsense of the highest order. I am so close to ringing my bank and cancelling my direct debit but I am a little older and wiser no I do not want to complicate things when Moorcroft to start demanding money from me by mail. Is there anything else I can do? How enforcable is this charge?
Standard User reserved
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Feb-11 11:50:07
Print Post

Re: termination charges

[re: steveyruss] [link to this post]

Do BT automatically renew your contract every 12/18 months for a further term?

Ask BT for written proof that you are still in contract with them!

Dennis

plusnet value & talkanytime

Edited by reserved (Thu 03-Feb-11 11:52:05)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Feb-11 11:54:49
Print Post

[re: reserved] [link to this post]

Some BT phone contracts do auto renew - so you need to check the terms carefully

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User reserved
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Feb-11 11:56:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Some BT phone contracts do auto renew - so you need to check the terms carefully

I guessed they might frown

Dennis

plusnet value & talkanytime
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Feb-11 22:44:40
Print Post

[re: reserved] [link to this post]

It is normally the "special" deals. If you go for the free evening and weekend calls deal then that is a 12 month contract. At the end of the 12 months they should send out a letter stating that it will auto renew for another 12 months if you do not tell them otherwise. There have been some comments in the past that people haven't received these letters although I have now 2 years running.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 03-Feb-11 23:04:22
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Bt are supposed to send you a letter 1 month before the the current contract is due to end, if you don't contact them before the end of the contract they will automatically assume that you wish to continue with it, and start a new contract, hence the charges, thats how bt work, see t&c's
If you had of only gone for ADSL from sky (SMPF) then your bt contract would not of been affected, good luck,with the full LLU service you are entering into, ok if you are happy the service you get, but a real pain if you are not
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 03-Feb-11 23:19:38
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

The trouble is very few people realise that taking line rental from Sky with their broadband is a completely different ball game from just taking Sky Calls with it.

I think the OP was aware of what he was doing, apart from the BT phone contract. I'm less sure he is aware of the hassle he will have if and when he wants to leave.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
  Print Thread

Jump to