General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Lemzip
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Feb-11 18:05:48
Print Post

Neighbours electricity causing issues

[link to this post]

After my last thread http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/technical/t/3935632...

I have managed to track down my problem. It seems my neighbour across the road is the cause. After much watching times etc i narrowed it down to a property.

They let me into check and kindly allowed me to turn off the electricity supply. My problem went away (monitoring with routerstats) as soon as the supply goes back on my snr slowly decreased from 6 all the way down until i resync. Now we removed the router and telephone from the socket and everything electric was turned off when we turned it back on however the snr continued to climb down. Again we turned off the electric and it shot back up.

Now the telephone cables are all underground.

What im trying to find out is why this propertys actual mains supply is causing my adsl to degrade constantly? Is there something that needs to be checked? This has not always been the case and only started in September last year. No work has been done here to the electric or bt lines underground.

Does anyone have any ideas?

thanks

Edited by Lemzip (Thu 03-Feb-11 18:07:07)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 03-Feb-11 18:09:38
Print Post

Re: Neighbours electricity causing issues

[re: Lemzip] [link to this post]

confused - turning everything off via the supply removed the problem, but putting the power back on caused it ? - the answer must be in the things that came on when repowered (clocks, alarm, heating, powerplugs, etc) other than their router which you had unplugged.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Feb-11 18:11:38
Print Post

Mains supply or something within the property ?

Dave

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Lemzip
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Feb-11 18:16:11
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

we turned everything off that was electric as far as they where concerned however the snr slowly dropped, no matter what was turned off (with the main supply on)

Then we turned the actual mains off and the snr jumped straight up. Turn the mains back one and the snr drops again.

Is it possible the actual mains could be causing a problem?
Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Feb-11 18:21:26
Print Post

That does not prove anything.
You need to switch off individual items to see what causes the issue. Could be one of the favourites like a dodgy boiler ignition circuit, switch mode psu in TV.

Dave
Standard User ffox
(member) Thu 03-Feb-11 19:22:53
Print Post

They probably have something connected that they aren't aware of or have forgotten about. (I always forget that there is a door bell transformer in the loft.) It might help if you isolate circuits by tripping circuit breakers or pulling fuses.

Xilo C&W LLU, Netgear DG834 PN, St Ives Cambs
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 03-Feb-11 19:39:48
Print Post

[re: ffox] [link to this post]

Failing that it maybe that the bt cable in the street or house may run alongside the mains supply, as the bt cable is dc only and mains is ac, the 2 if are allowed to run next to each other such as inside conduit ect the mains will cause severe problems to the adsl signal running in the bt cable,
It's frustrating to say the least, also you may be connected to the same phase(mains supply) as your neighbough, and the interference from his supply is able to travel that way to your router, i have a similar issue, but the culpit isn't so co-operative, as yours, one day he won't have a working phone line,lol
Standard User ggremlin
(member) Thu 03-Feb-11 19:50:13
Print Post

1) does your neighbour use adsl broadband?
2) does an am radio go 'mad' as their power is reinstated?
Standard User nredwood
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Feb-11 20:36:20
Print Post

[re: Rockh] [link to this post]

SkyBox, dimmer switches, treadmill, anything in the property with a proximity sensor

Be* Unlimited
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 03-Feb-11 21:07:43
Print Post

Something there doesn't add up.
After much watching times etc i narrowed it down to a property.
The inference there is that when they arrived or left there was an effect.

That doesn't tie in with needing the mains completely turned off, as I doubt if they do that every time they go out.

So as the others have said, you need to track it down to device level. Even perhaps a burglar alarm that causes trouble when in one state or the other of enabled/disabled, as that would vary precisely with arrival/departure.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 03-Feb-11 21:08:17)

Print Thread

Jump to