General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-Feb-11 08:34:06
Print Post

So - why do we need super fast broadband?

[link to this post]

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/04/tivo_vod/

I hope that was just biased or warped test. If not it doesn't bode well. Take VoD out of the equation and at the moment there's nothing anyone needs FTTP for. We've got all the broadcast capacity we need. More in fact.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sat 05-Feb-11 10:21:04
Print Post

Re: So - why do we need super fast broadband?

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

I stayed at a hotel recently, where they had video-on-demand (along with the usual satellite & terrestrial channels).

I nearly exploded with rage when I had to navigate through a cumbersome, irresponsive menu system, just to watch the 6 o'clock news on BBC1, instead of "flicking channels".

They do need to think very carefully how this is implemented. People do want choice, but they want to be able to switch on and watch their "usuals" without it being a major operation, as well.

T.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-Feb-11 10:32:16
Print Post

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

Hotel system are notoriously under powered in CPU terms i.e. cheap

TV viewing is quiet different across the age ranges though, young ones are now used to being able to find their favourite show, rather than having to wait for it.

XBox parties for a favourite film are an example of how things are changing.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 05-Feb-11 10:35:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

young ones are now used to being able to find their favourite show, rather than having to wait for it

is it a societal perogative to pander to this need, or should we just tell them to "get over it already".

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-Feb-11 10:43:13
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Hard to say which is better:

Personal choices as in 'I want'
or
Lead by the hand through what someone decided is the programming for today?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 05-Feb-11 10:51:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It only becomes an issue when public money is being asked for to build a next generation VOD / TV network, which as the OP implies is essentially what the NGA debate is about.

It get's fogged with various economic imperatives, but is fundamentally about video.

Thus far in human society the "I want" model of entertainment has not prevailed for long, people have had choices of what is made available by others. Widening the choice is fine if it pays for itself, but don't expect me to volunteer to pay or to be happy being taxed to pay for it.

We're still on 4 channel analogue TV to March switchover wink

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 05-Feb-11 11:25:45
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
We're still on 4 channel analogue TV to March switchover wink
We have used Freeview for a long time to give us BBC4 but that's about it.

Just as we accumulated a hundred or so tapes that we never had time to watch in the days before PVRs, our 160GB PVR is constantly having to be pruned a little to record something we do want to view.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 05-Feb-11 11:32:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
our 160GB PVR is constantly having to be pruned a little to record something we do want to view.
So fit a bigger hard drive tongue

I had the same trouble with my old 40GB PVR (Humax), as it was way out of warranty they told me it would be OK to fit a new HDD, they were bog-standard PC type.

It worked, but I eventually had to take it out again because the drive's power consumption was a touch on the high side for the inbuilt supply.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 05-Feb-11 11:35:07
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
our 160GB PVR is constantly having to be pruned a little to record something we do want to view.
So fit a bigger hard drive tongue
Or empty it and start again smile.

(Also a question of copying what's already there with only laptops available.)

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 05-Feb-11 11:37:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

(Also a question of copying what's already there with only laptops available.)
Don't know about the newer ones, but on mine you can't (easily) copy- they use a proprietary file system frown

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to