General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jammy_b
(newbie) Tue 08-Feb-11 17:52:02
Print Post

Turn Interleaving off to improve pings

[link to this post]

I am an avid gamer, and my current connection seems to be OK for it, but since lower pings are better i was considering switching providers to attain decent speeds, although this isnt preferable as I have been a BT customer for several years. However I have been told by other BT users that I can improve my ping times by having interleaving turned off on my line. Currently i recieve 50-60 ping on UK servers and 60-80 on other EU servers.
Is there anyone who would be able to assist me with having interleaving turned off on my line? And would it have any possible side-effects? E.g. Lag, downtime, bandwidth loss etc.
I have noticed several BT staff posting on the forum and would be grateful for any help.
Thanks,
JB
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 08-Feb-11 18:11:06
Print Post

Re: Turn Interleaving off to improve pings

[re: jammy_b] [link to this post]

better off in the BT Broadband forum. BT reps more frequent there.

Interleaving adds about 10ms to ping, reduces errors and improves stability in many cases. Your router error counters would show how much work it has to do.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 08-Feb-11 18:13:30
Print Post

Interleave was designed to help maintain stability on problematic lines, at the cost of higher latency and lower headline speeds(sync rate)But most isp's enable interleave by default mainly to minimise the volume of calls to their tech support departments,
As you are on BT your line is also subject to their DLM system that works against most end users, by slowing the connection down far to aggressively,
You can i believe request that you be put on a fast path profile, and providing your line is good enough DLM won't be triggered, which could of course result in the connection being reset to the defaults interleave back on and a higher target snr being set by dlm, causing lower sync speeds,but apart from that there are unlikely to be any drawbacks in having a fast path profile, to get fastpath enabled you can: wait and see if someone from bt picks up on this thread, or ring the cust servs and request it

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jammy_b
(newbie) Tue 08-Feb-11 18:13:55
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

ok thanks for the tips, any idea how i can check my error counters? i have a BT homehub 2.0.

Was able to access the control panel pretty easily on my old router, but my parents like using the phone on this one so im stuck with it, and it doesnt seem to have one
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 08-Feb-11 18:20:26
Print Post

ask in the BT forum there'll be more Home Hub jockeys there. It's user interface is a PITA

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User Wangmaster
(newbie) Tue 08-Feb-11 20:21:18
Print Post

I had interleaving turned off (im on Plusnet). Took a couple days but pings went from 35-50 down to 20. As long as your line can support it, go for it. At worst you can just ask to have to put back on.
ISP Representative BT_Care
(isp) Wed 09-Feb-11 17:37:03
Print Post

Re:Turn Interleaving off to improve pings

Hi jammy_b

I have just seen your post and I would be able to help with this as I can arrange for the interleaving service to be removed from your telephone line. If you drop me an email to btcare@bt.com with a link to this post and your account details I will arrange this for you.

Regards David
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to