General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Malwaremike
(regular) Fri 11-Feb-11 18:41:27
Print Post

DEA and copyright case

[link to this post]

I've no interest in downloads etc but have watched the various copyright cases with interest, right up to John Hunt's excellent report today.

Of equal interest is Judge Birss' questioning of using an IP address to identify a copyright owner, which he states will likely just identify a wireless home broadband router and that Media CAT therefore do not know who actually caused the alleged and infringement.

What happens if someone downloads via my BT FON router? Maybe it wouldn't be fast enough; but surely this is the classic example of BT customers allowing downloads without supervision or even knowledge of the content?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Feb-11 19:22:50
Print Post

Re: DEA and copyright case

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

Not your responsibility! It is a well-known open network, that is not even your network.

Only the proven perpetrator of the download ban be sued for copyright violation.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User Malwaremike
(regular) Fri 11-Feb-11 20:13:41
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Exactly my point. Yet I had the impression that people were being harrassed because they were the owner/operator of the IP in question. They may or may not have been the user and surely this case is all about proving it. It's the idea of proving your innocence that annoyed me about the whole thing.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 11-Feb-11 21:57:07
Print Post

What happens if someone downloads via my BT FON router?
It is tunnelled to a BT IP address and won't appear as you. Same with the Openzone hotspots.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Feb-11 22:13:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by Malwaremike:
people were being harrassed because they were the owner/operator of the IP in question
Yes, but now it has finally come to Court, the judge is saying that this is not sufficient to show that the IP "owners" are liable in any way. In fact the whole contention is flawed.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
  Print Thread

Jump to