General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 11-Feb-11 21:36:36
Print Post

Ram slots and issues

[link to this post]

hi all,
hope all are well,
I have a problem if advised would be great.

This is my motherboard
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2010/0...

I purchased 8Gig of ram with makes my total ram to 16gig.
Rams are the same only different brands but both by Kingston.
one pair is Samsung the other is Epl.

i was having problems for the pc to detect until right now i fixed it. However if you look at the link the image shows the ram slots as RED BLACK RED BLACK..

when i had only 8gig of ram i used RED AND RED, so the samsung pair were in R and R. stated by the mobo manual.

But if i try Samsung pair in R and R and the EPL in B and B it wont boot.

Only work if i put either pair next to each other i.e Samsung in R and B and Epl in R and B.

Is this correct or does this cause the Ram to work in single mode?

thanks in advance smile
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Fri 11-Feb-11 22:08:02
Print Post

Re: Ram slots and issues

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

My experience of RAM makes me always use the same modules throughout. Don't mix RAM. However, if you have a combination that works, reports all the RAM and is stable, then don't worry about it. Might be worth checking how much is reported in windows, and also might be worth swotting up on swapfile size for that amount of RAM. I'm guessing windows will try to assign 24GB to it (1.5x). I dount that 24GB is necessary. smile

For future reference, this section is better for that kind of query (appreciate that you might be new to the forum though):

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/hardware.html

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011 - All rights and lefts reserved.

report this link
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 11-Feb-11 22:20:57
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

thanks for the insight. Mobo max is 16GiG but both Cpu-Z and Task manager are showing 16GiG, i was just wondering whty it only works with this method as I thought pairs should be paired by the colours ie RED and RED etc.

Reason for high ram.Its a low end workstation and hopefully by summer i get a real beast! smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pmb00cs
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Feb-11 01:52:55
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Some boards do it differently.

I have seen the same colour indicating primary slot for the memory bank, and other colours indicating secondary (or tertiary) slots. But I have also seen colours used to identify banks.

The only way to be sure would be to read your motherboard manual.

You should certainly stick to keeping the same RAM in the same memory bank, ideally sticking to the same memory across the banks too.

happily chugging along on plusnet and Virginmedia (yes I am greedy)
My web server
  Print Thread

Jump to