General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 13-Feb-11 17:21:51
Print Post

Average install/setup install time (sky)?

[link to this post]

(Yes this should go in the Sky board but it won't let me make an account so it has to go here)

There is a BT line here. I don't have a phone or anything to plug in (on 3G atm) to see if there's a dial tone, and in any case I hear an unactivated line doesn't have one anyway.

Assuming the line is physically okay, what's a realistic time period from placing the order being able to load google?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 13-Feb-11 18:41:51
Print Post

Re: Average install/setup install time (sky)?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Important question regarding what Sky products you can get! The LLU is fine, but if you can't get it they offer Sky Connect, which is very poor.

You can drill down to your address using this tool, and if you tell us what exchange it is we can see.

You should also get a speed estimate.

Would you be wanting the line rental with Sky as well, or just broadband perhap with Sky Talk?

Re making an account here, I assume you know that the forum login is separate from the main site one? You have to register on the forums not just the main site. Though you can use the same username and password as long as the username is available on the forums.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 13-Feb-11 22:05:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ah, sorry, I was a bit light on the details.
My exchange has Sky LLU, both samknows and Sky's checker say so.

I'm planning on Unlimited, line rental and the free sky talk. I've no phone service at all at the moment.

So question is, all that, how long will it take.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 14-Feb-11 01:42:32
Print Post

And um also, when I use the sky checker it mentions an engineer will need to come and install a new line. I assume that text is there just in case, and they can just take over the current one without an engineer visit being needed (as long as the line is in good shape)? Or do they need to install a new socket etc no matter what? Having never needed to order ADSL or even phone service before, I'm a little confused.

I tried the order page on the BT site on the suggestion of a friend, it came up 'checking line' for about a minute then said there was an unused line they could easily activate. Was that an actual electrical check of the line or just a match of my address?

Thanks for your help
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 14-Feb-11 11:02:38
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Re the BT check, I would expect it was an electrical check, but I don't know. It doesn't matter, as (to me) it means an engineer visit to your place wouldn't be needed, just perhaps to the exchange.

In which case a Sky line will be the same, as all they do is order the line from BT Openreach, with the LLU connection. That will certainly require the engineer to go to the exchange. The Sky checker will just be issuing a standard "cover all cases" staement about an engineer visit, as they can have no idea what the situation is re the line if it is disconnected at the moment.

Regarding the timescale, sorry I have no idea. All Sky can do is submit their order to Openreach and wait for them to schedule the job(s).

Every day you wait though is at least one day later for the installation.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 14-Feb-11 15:30:46
Print Post

Alright, thanks!
  Print Thread

Jump to