General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 15-Feb-11 10:47:21
Print Post

What is Broadband?

[link to this post]

According to the FCC (Wiki source) it would seem to require >4Mbps downstream and >1Mbps upstream...

OK, so the States can go their own sweet way and a different definition is used in the UK, but I wonder what proportion of US users qualify, let alone UK ones!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 15-Feb-11 10:52:51
Print Post

Re: What is Broadband?

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Broadband is the use of multiple frequencies for data transmission, as opposed to the modulation of a single frequency. Fibre is baseband, DSL is broadband.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User AEP
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Feb-11 10:55:04
Print Post

If you read the reference, that figure is only used for a very specific purpose and with a lot of provisos. It's certainly a good figure to aim at.

But even I manage those figures and I'm a long way from my exchange.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(legend) Tue 15-Feb-11 11:51:35
Print Post

One part of me thinks it's good to encourage such a minimum (4M/1M), and sounds typical of US consumerism.

Another part of me just wonders if the yanks have to be bigger at everything. smile

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011 - All rights and lefts reserved.

report this link
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Feb-11 15:40:22
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Yours is a technical definition so it is objective but not especially useful.

The one originally posted is a functional definition so subjective and you'll get almost as many definitions as there are definers. None can be classed as either right or wrong. Unless used to define an advertising claim or something similar it is a pretty pointless definition though.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 15-Feb-11 15:47:07
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

Yours is a technical definition so it is objective but not especially useful.

It is very useful.

If people are defining "high speed internet access" they would be better off calling it that, for example VDSL is being used in the US to provide TV and the broadband bandwidth is bigger than the internet access bandwidth.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
  Print Thread

Jump to