General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 15-Feb-11 21:33:50
Print Post

Will LLU ADSL2+ Be Better Than BT ADSL2+ 21CN?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I currently have an ADSL1 connection with BT Total Broadband and my connection speed isn't great (because of the length of the line, I assume). BT say they are upgrading the exchange to ADSL2+ 21CN by March 31st at the latest, but the thing is, some LLU providers already offer ADSL2+ services at the moment. My question is will the two provide the same sort of speeds or would one be faster than another? What sort of speed can I expect with ADSL2+? Many thanks, David.

1. ISP: BT Total Broadband, modem speed 2688kbps downstream, 448kbps upstream.
2. Router: BT Home Hub 2, OS: Mac OS X 10.6.6.
3. Line attenuation (Down/Up) 58.0 dB / 31.5 dB, Noise margin (Down/Up) 6.4 dB / 14.0 dB
4. N/A
5. The BT Wholesale checker says: Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that it is VERY UNLIKELY you will be able to receive fixed 512Kbps or 256Kbps broadband service due to the very long length of your telephone line. However, your order will be accepted if you still wish to order. An engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 250Kbps; typically the line speed would range between 250Kbps and 1Mbps.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Feb-11 21:44:47
Print Post

Re: Will LLU ADSL2+ Be Better Than BT ADSL2+ 21CN?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

On good lines they will be identical. On both you should be able to regress to ADSL1 or ADSL2 if your line is so long as to make ADSL2+ slower.

However, if your line is so noisy as to have frequent discons, LLU will recover its speed faster as BT'ss IP Profile DLM is so laggy as to delay any recovery.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
  Print Thread

Jump to