General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User omnius
(newbie) Fri 18-Feb-11 19:13:50
Print Post

Are my stats ok?

[link to this post]

Hi there let me first say that ive been a "lurker" here for sometime (even tho i only joined up officaly a while ago) and always found this forum and the people in it very knowlageable (more so then my ability to spell lol)

ive been with sky for 6 months now (there unlimited package) and never thought i had a problem until our next door neibour also got sky bb installed, he says hes getting 6 mb when im only getting 4mb MAX now considering we are both in new build houses on the same bt pole AND connected to the same roadside box surely we would be much closer on speed so im a little worryied.

Anyways ive done the standard things like moveing my router away from other electrical stuff, got a shielded cable and routed it away from electrical cables, new filters, reboots, test socket sync's, ect and to be honist theve made next to no differance altho i did get a 100k uplink boost.

my stats are.......

Router Statistics

System Up Time: 294:02:46

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time

WAN PPPoA 4574980 8696055 0 489 2457 242:44:09
LAN 9681856 5243193 0 105 621 294:02:46
WLAN 99971 22435 0 291 9 53:57:02

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4095 kbps 542 kbps
Line Attenuation 52.5db 32.9db
Noise Margin 4.5db 10.0db

these are from the test socket of a old style bt faceplate as they couldnt fit a NTE5a socket (apparantly it wouldnt fit into the plate that the bulder supplyed), only the router was connected at the time via a brand new filter, a corded phone reports only a very faint hissing on the quite line test (very faint) under normal use i use digital cordless phone but the base station and router are a good 1 meter appart. there are no extentions off the master at all and the router/phone both run off the master.

every speed test i do says im getting 3.1 to 3.5 max, anyone got any idea if these stats look good? i admit im a good 3 to 4 miles or so by road to our exchange so i wasnt expecting much but if my next door neibour is getting 6.............

------------------

I am the keeper of private knowledge and uncounted secrets.
You will never know what I know!
I would pity you, if you were not an infidel.

-mirage in the shariat road
an apocryphal Tleilaxu writing

[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/1139728162.png[/img]
How [censored] is that!?! Roll on FTTC/P

[img]http://www.pingtest.net/result/30179909.png[/img]

Edited by omnius (Fri 18-Feb-11 19:16:53)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 18-Feb-11 19:22:20
Print Post

Re: Are my stats ok?

[re: omnius] [link to this post]

No, the low noise margin shows you have a noise problem on the line.
The downstream is very close to 4Mb which indicates you've been capped by the DLM.
You should not hear a hissing noise on the corded handset.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Feb-11 19:26:14
Print Post

If you are on good terms with your neighbour see if you can see the router line stats for his connection and make a note and post them here.

Alastair

omadasafisho

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User omnius
(newbie) Fri 18-Feb-11 19:29:46
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

hummmmm, ok thanks

I will ask him tomorrow as i dont want to disterb him now as he works nights and is prob getting ready for work

the phone line comes in via the loft then connects to a phoneline the the builder installed via a small white box that the bt man supplyed.

before i phone bt (who i have my phone service with) is it possible that the wireing already in place could be the cause of the noise and the ovious conclusion that i would need to pay bt to come and run the line to the socket themselves?

---------------------------

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1139728162.png

http://www.pingtest.net/result/30179909.png

Edited by omnius (Fri 18-Feb-11 19:31:19)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 18-Feb-11 19:43:09
Print Post

TBH you're responsible for the connection from the master socket, so you could DIY.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User omnius
(newbie) Fri 18-Feb-11 21:06:19
Print Post

There are no connections from the master, everything is plugged directly into it

will try to explain it a bit better.....

pole - bt cable to loft space - white box - builder installed cable - bt installed master socket - filter - phone/adsl/sky

---------------------------

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1139728162.png

http://www.pingtest.net/result/30179909.png
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 18-Feb-11 23:34:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by omnius:
pole - bt cable to loft space - white box - builder installed cable - bt installed master socket - filter - phone/adsl/sky
Yes, builder installs are usually "poor".

Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Feb-11 00:40:00
Print Post

But if BT have installed a master box AFTER the builder cable and they don't have any termination point before it, then they have adopted the wiring and so would be responsible for it's maintenance?

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 19-Feb-11 00:42:03
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

Who?

Print Thread

Jump to