General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User faz1964
(learned) Wed 23-Feb-11 11:04:21
Print Post

BT High Level Complaints

[link to this post]

Hi

I have had ongoing problems with my broadband connection for a long time, resulting in excess of 15 engineering visits to my home, six router exchanges, but never any apologies.

Problems have been the usual slow speeds, drop in/ sticking Bras profile and recently my HH2 router resetting itself every time I receive or make a phone call.

At my last bout of problems they did say they would withdraw the service / release me from their contract as they could not find where the faults were occurring. My concern with that is where it would leave me to go.

Having communicated with BT High Level complaints throughout in the past they are now completely ignoring my emails and messages left on their answer phone.

What would you do?

ADSL line status

Connection Information

Line state Connected
Connection time 1 days, 01:50:28
Downstream 1,856 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 12.4 dB / 13.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 58.6 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 2.9 dBm / 1.3 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 943 / 199
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 167 / 81
HEC Errors (Down/Up) 856 / 68
Error Seconds (Local/Remote) 109 / 38

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by faz1964 (Wed 23-Feb-11 11:09:07)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Feb-11 11:18:15
Print Post

Re: BT High Level Complaints

[re: faz1964] [link to this post]

Have you tried other ADSL hardware on the line, not all devices behave gracefully on longer lines that have noise issues.

A connection time of 24 hours suggests things are not horrendous.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User faz1964
(learned) Wed 23-Feb-11 11:36:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi

I have only tried the BT HH2 as we utilise hub phones when we can receive and make phone calls.

I agree 24 hours is not horrendous, but I believe that is only because we were away all day yesterday and did not use the phone. For instance on Saturday morning we received 5 phone calls all of which were cut off and the hub reset itself on each occasion, which of course impacted on BT IP profiling.

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User undecidedadrian
(learned) Wed 23-Feb-11 11:40:32
Print Post

The hub phones have now been abandoned by BT, the home hub 3 doesn't support them, I wonder if that's because of lots of problems.

As BT allows you to use other ADSL kit as already suggested it might be worth hooking another router up just to see if that is the problem as I have seen reports that the HH2 can cause lots of disconnects.
Standard User commsguru
(newbie) Wed 23-Feb-11 11:48:53
Print Post

HI. I would suggest virgin media if you are in there area. (Topcashback website £150 caskback).
Your line length is so long hence why you get slow speed.
I would remove the front cover of your bt socket (NTE5), This should disconnect all your phone extensions (if wired correctly). Now plug in your microfilter and router (front cover still off).
You can now test this and see if it has fixed your problems.

Another option is Three mobile, they have a mobile plan that is called the One Plan, This might be the best if you can not virgin media cable. The One plan (topcashback about £100) is £25 p/m 2000 mins and All You Can EAT Data usage. This means mobile broadband unlimited (using a mobile phone) and should be faster the your BT connection
Regards
Jon
Standard User faz1964
(learned) Wed 23-Feb-11 11:49:54
Print Post

Well BT must read this forum as they have finally rung.

Advised to plug into test socket and will come back to me on Saturday.

Here are the latest stats

Connection Information

Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 00:13:56
Downstream 2,336 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 9.1 dB / 15.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 58.9 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 3.7 dBm / 1.3 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 12 / 3
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 4 / 0
HEC Errors (Down/Up) 9 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote) 2 / 0

My Broadband Speed Test

And BT Speedtestet

est1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
1495 Kbps

0 Kbps 2000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1495 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 800-2000 Kbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 1750 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 3.69:16.33:79.99 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
Standard User faz1964
(learned) Wed 23-Feb-11 11:56:29
Print Post

[re: commsguru] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by commsguru:
HI. I would suggest virgin media if you are in there area. (Topcashback website £150 caskback).
Your line length is so long hence why you get slow speed.
I would remove the front cover of your bt socket (NTE5), This should disconnect all your phone extensions (if wired correctly). Now plug in your microfilter and router (front cover still off).
You can now test this and see if it has fixed your problems.

Another option is Three mobile, they have a mobile plan that is called the One Plan, This might be the best if you can not virgin media cable. The One plan (topcashback about £100) is £25 p/m 2000 mins and All You Can EAT Data usage. This means mobile broadband unlimited (using a mobile phone) and should be faster the your BT connection
Regards
Jon

Hi

I am now plugged directly into the test socket with a filter, although I cannot see it making any difference as the router is the only item plugged into the socket as we have no extensions etc

We already have the three dongle of using our laptop at our caravan, but it is no use to us at home with 2 PC's, 1 laptop, xbox live, PSP and smartphones.

We do not have cable in our area. But our exchange Hunslet does have BE LLU whom I have heard good reports about.

Thanks

Edited by faz1964 (Wed 23-Feb-11 12:06:12)

Standard User faz1964
(learned) Wed 23-Feb-11 12:01:07
Print Post

[re: undecidedadrian] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by undecidedadrian:
The hub phones have now been abandoned by BT, the home hub 3 doesn't support them, I wonder if that's because of lots of problems.

As BT allows you to use other ADSL kit as already suggested it might be worth hooking another router up just to see if that is the problem as I have seen reports that the HH2 can cause lots of disconnects.

That may be my next line of negotiation with BT. Shame because it will necessitate me buying a new telephone system when I have purchased 5 hub phones.

What other ADSL kit would you suggest and I wonder if BT would fund it?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Feb-11 12:14:17
Print Post

Sounds more like a power supply/firmware issue in the HH2 than an actual ADSL issue.

On a long line any reboot of the ADSL hardware can mean a noticeable drop in speed, whereas for those getting 4Meg or so, 0.5Meg up or down is not such a major issue.

As has been said the phones appear to have been dropped now, if you have spent a lot on them, and can find others having same issue, then you can say goods are not fit for the purpose they are sold for, i.e. return and refund time.

Problem is that while VoIP calls are cheap or free, a lot of the decent VoIP hardware is not.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User faz1964
(learned) Wed 23-Feb-11 12:25:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
On a long line any reboot of the ADSL hardware can mean a noticeable drop in speed, whereas for those getting 4Meg or so, 0.5Meg up or down is not such a major issue.

How right you are there!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to