General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tuliptownman
(newbie) Sun 27-Feb-11 12:21:38
Print Post

Help ADSL2+ issues

[link to this post]

Firstly apologies to anyone who may have seen my long running issues on other forums. However I feel that as I seem to have a number of multiple issues, the more I air them, the more likely someone might be able to come up with an answer that might eliminate one or more of them.

I upgraded to ADSL2+ at the end of last year. My line stats are

noise margin downstream: 9 db
output power upstream: 11 db
attenuation downstream: 19 db
noise margin upstream: 5 db
output power downstream: 19 db
attenuation upstream: 12 db

IP Profile 13000
Synch rate 15439 kbps

Essentialy therefore I should be getting throughput speeds of 10 meg. However that has not been happening and I am not acheiving any greater throughput than when I was on ADSL2 - around 7 meg when connected to the modem by cable. Time of day makes no difference so network traffic can be discounted.

I was experiencing some line drops and after persistance with BT (using their community forums) I have had a home engineer visit and a faulty circuit has been identified at the exchange and I am now on a different circuit. The Engineer also replaced my master socket.

Since the engineer visit I have noticed my noise margin and error count increase. The noise margin was fluctuating between 7dB and 9dB - now it fluctuates between 9dB and 10 dB accrding to Routerstats.

This was the position on 9 January

near-end FEC error fast: 263
near-end FEC error interleaved: 0
near-end CRC error fast: 169
near-end CRC error interleaved: 0
near-end HEC error fast: 857
near-end HEC error interleaved: 0
far-end FEC error fast: 0
far-end FEC error interleaved: 0
far-end CRC error fast: 1701
far-end CRC error interleaved: 0
far-end HEC error fast: 0
far-end HEC error interleaved: 0
ADSL uptime 18:18:56

This is the position now

near-end FEC error fast: 0
near-end FEC error interleaved: 44125
near-end CRC error fast: 0
near-end CRC error interleaved: 376
near-end HEC error fast: 0
near-end HEC error interleaved: 1694
far-end FEC error fast: 0
far-end FEC error interleaved: 304
far-end CRC error fast: 0
far-end CRC error interleaved: 664
far-end HEC error fast: 0
far-end HEC error interleaved: 0
ADSL uptime 12:21:38

The exchange is set to auto and interleaving was turned on before the engineer visit.

I have a Zyxel P660HW T1 V2 and have confirmed the firmware is correct with Zyxel support.

My modem has had to put up with a lot of powering off since the upgrade through movement to the master socket from an extension, reboots and complete removal during the engineer visit. It has also had to cope with two power cuts!

Throughout the period I have noticed that wireless speedtests have been consistantly lower than wired ones returning speeds of around 3.5 meg. This applies equally to my PC with Avira anti virus two rooms away from the modem and my laptop with Norton Anti Virus in the same room as the modem (within touching distance).

I seem to have one issue with the line and another one with wireless speeds. Whilst the line issue is something that I can try to persuade BT to check (high number of errors and noise pointing to something being not quite as it should), they won't obviously address the wireless speed issue. I have run inssider and I am happy that I am not getting any interference and I have down the REIN test by radio - the router was emmiting noises like an old VW Beetle whilst my dongle was making a high pitched shrill. No other electrical devices were emmitting noises.

I have been thinking about upgrading my modem to an N standard and am considering either the Billion 7300N or Billion 7800N or possibly the Linksys WAG 320N as the duel band capability might address any external noisei nterference that I cannot identify. However I am loathed to invest in something that will not make any difference immediately either by increasing the wireless speeds or improving the line stability.

I have a few months to sort this out. Currently I have just the PC and laptop but before the analogue TV signal is switched off I want to upgrade the TV. I would like to get one with Wi-Fi capability giving the options of media streaming but untill I can get my actual throughput speeds to a higher level and address my wireless speeds, I feel that the investment in a Wi-Fi TV cannot be justified.

The specific questions are:-

Could my modem be the cause of these errors because of what it has had to put up with?

Could the New master socket be the cause of the sudden increase in errors and noise margin?

Could either of my antivirus and Firewall solutions be affecting my wireless speeds?

Given what I want to acheive eventually assuming the line issues can be sorted, which would be the best modem to go for? I want to be future proof. I brought the Zyxel when I was still on ADSL1.

I know that there are a lot of issues, but all suggestions in addressing any one of them or all of them would be welcome.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 27-Feb-11 12:26:43
Print Post

Re: Help ADSL2+ issues

[re: Tuliptownman] [link to this post]

the error levels aren't high. If you do an extended ping test to a reputable site what packet loss do you see ?

What operating system do you have, have you checked the MTU and RWIN values on a tweak testing site.

Booting windows into safe mode and running a speedtest would reduce the impact of security products, or remove them completely for testing and then replace.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
(newbie) Sun 27-Feb-11 12:41:37
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
the error levels aren't high. If you do an extended ping test to a reputable site what packet loss do you see ?

But they have gone up. Why have they gone up? Pointers on how to do an extended ping test please.
What operating system do you have, have you checked the MTU and RWIN values on a tweak testing site.
PC is Windows XP, Laptop Windows 7. You have lost me on the rest.
Booting windows into safe mode and running a speedtest would reduce the impact of security products, or remove them completely for testing and then replace.

Would a wireless test to BT Speedtester work in safemode? I know that the other Speedtesting sites can produce very strange results with my set up. I had a result of over 30 meg on one which is obviously not right. BT Speedtester is the only one that BT seem to take notice of.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wanapoo
(member) Sun 27-Feb-11 14:16:54
Print Post

Hello,

Something doesnt seem right, are you able to plug your router directly in the test socket under the faceplate on the master socket and leave it like that for a day or so whilst monitoring the downstream snr fluctuation.

If the 2db fluctuation has reduced, then it means there could be something bad in your internal telephone wiring in your house after the bt master socket.

Yes your antivirus software can cause slow speeds, if it running updates or running systems scans.

Something you need to be aware of, is with the big isp's like BT Broadband, they tend to over subscribe, and the speeds suffer like a traffic jam on the M25. If you do a speedtest at 2am in the morning and its really fast, then your answer is congestion/traffic jam.

As for your dream of making everything wifi by switching to wireless N, your going to be dissapointed. The specificatons what the manufactures put on the their products, are based on having a clear line of view, like standing in afield. This is an example.

If you have a little aeroplane which carries 6 people and flys at 400mph, but cant fly through a brick wall, buying concord which carries more passengers and has super sonic speeds, still cant fly through a brick wall.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 27-Feb-11 16:10:02
Print Post

ping www.bbc.co.uk -t then Ctrl/c to stop it after 5 minutes and get the numbers.

wireless probably works in safe mode, try it and see

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks/ - run the test and post the tiny url from the bottom of the page.

You've gone from fastpath to interleaved, has the sync speed stayed the same ? You see more FEC errors with interleaving 'cos it has more data to correct them.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.

Edited by yarwell (Sun 27-Feb-11 16:12:20)

(newbie) Sun 27-Feb-11 16:40:59
Print Post

tweak test herewith I hope I have done it right.

I should add that I have finally managed to get my Home Hub 2.00 going but obviously still have a G rated dongle.

I am going to see whether the Home hub stabilises things a bit. I will do other tests if required.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 27-Feb-11 16:46:10
Print Post

Receive Window (RWIN): 17160

this is too small for a fast connection, it will limit the maximum speed you can get.
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/578 shows how to increase it, suggestions were on the tweak test report page - try 64,000 and 128,000 and compare speed test results at each.

This only applies to XP, later versions of windows are supposed to manage this better.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Feb-11 16:46:30
Print Post

Interleaving usually reduces the maximum line sync usually, doesn't it? Like on 20CN Fast path peaks at 8128kbps, while interleaved is 7616kbps.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AOL > Virgin Media > Tiscali > Falconnet > UKFSN > Norfolk Internet
2mbps > Shapped 512k > 1mbps! > 6.5mbps > 4.5mbps > 6.5mbps
ADSL Joy. 31db att, 9db SNR, EntaFail.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 27-Feb-11 16:49:00
Print Post

[re: krazykizza] [link to this post]

7616 is only the limit if the hardware doesn't do S=1/2 mode otherwise you get full speed. If it was 7616 to start with, interleaving wouldn't reduce it.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
(newbie) Thu 03-Mar-11 00:49:57
Print Post

I have now resolved this issue. I replaced my Zyxel with a BT Hub that I thought was dead but with assistance from India call centre I have got it going.

Now acheiving 12 meg Speeds.

I can only conclude that my Zyxel circuitry was damaged due to a couple of Power cuts and line drops caused by faulty exchange circuitry.

VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.5
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 6.9 dB / 5.7 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 22.5 dB / 11.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 21.0 dBm / 12.4 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 0
Loss of Signal (Local) 0
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 972
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 466 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up) nil / 31957
Error Seconds (Local) 300

The errors are higher than what they were when I first upgraded to ADSL2+ - do they increase with higher speeds?

Would these speeds be OK for a Wi-Fi capable TV? I am not planning to go down the route of BT Vision but I would like BBC iplayer (and other services) capability on my next TV. I don't think that Infinity is going to reach these parts anytime soon so unless I can tweak things with a better modem/router this is probably as good as it gets.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to