General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User damir
(newbie) Sun 27-Feb-11 21:30:20
Print Post

Crazy phone line issue!

[link to this post]

Hey all

My ADSL2 sync speed has dropped recently from 8mb/s to 4mb/s, and upload speed has dropped from around 1mb/s to 0.3mb/s. There are loads of signal errors on my router, even when plugged into the test socket. And my phone line doesn't give me a dial tone when I plug the phone into it (also test socket). On top of that, when I try ringing the line using my mobile, it rings weirdly, and when I answer it, I just get an intermittent buzzing noise, nothing else.

It's a BT line, and I'm on O2 broadband connected at the Kingsland Green exchange. What is going on?
Standard User iwish
(committed) Sun 27-Feb-11 21:36:30
Print Post

Re: Crazy phone line issue!

[re: damir] [link to this post]

Report it
If you have phone line problems from the test socket then report as a voice fault not adsl
No one can really tell you what's going on as we don't have test equipment plugged into your test socket
Standard User bluetroll
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Feb-11 21:38:37
Print Post

The most likely explanation is that one of the 2 wires of your phone line is broken - voice needs both wires but ADSL with (sort of) work with only 1 (& I've temporarily forgotten what the technical term for this is).

The best course of action is to report it to BT (or whoever you pay the line rental to) as a voice fault (don't mention broadband at all - that may just confuse things). Getting the voice fault fixed should sort the ADSL out too.

"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders."

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User damir
(newbie) Tue 01-Mar-11 21:57:13
Print Post

[re: bluetroll] [link to this post]

excellent, i reported it and it turns out there was some fault on my line (dunno why it only became faulty recently though!). now i'm syncing at 11mb/s, faster than before laugh thanks for the help guys!
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Mar-11 08:11:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by damir:
dunno why it only became faulty recently though!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.
Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Mar-11 09:15:41
Print Post

[re: bluetroll] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bluetroll:
(& I've temporarily forgotten what the technical term for this is)

We used to call it a dis leg

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
  Print Thread

Jump to