General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User FarmerGilesUK
(newbie) Tue 01-Mar-11 21:24:41
Print Post

Slow sync speed

[link to this post]

Hi all

I have had nearly a year of issues with my PlusNet broadband due to poor line quality. The DSL worked well initially but the BT line has had various issues (tree damage etc). BTW to their credit, have persisted and it looks like the've finally fixed the various issues.

My *problem* is that although the line is now stable, my sync speed, and therefore throughput is pretty poor.

What is exceptionally irritating is that my neighbour also has a PlusNet DSL and the same hardware as I have yet his DSL is running much quicker than mine, probably due to him NOT having all the issues I've had.

Some stats.

Both of us are just 2 houses in the middle of nowhere, 7km from the exchange which is BTW only. Both PlusNet 2mb DSLs

Here are the stats from my Thomson ST585.

Uptime: 1 day, 0:36:21 (I reset the router last night)
Modulation: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 1,248
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 16.89 / 126.35
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 16.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 63.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 16.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 555
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 32
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 28

My IP Profile is set to 1000kbps and my throughput is 800-900kps depending on whose test I use.

Next door syncs at 448/2176, his IP profile is 1800 and his throughput is c1600kbps. Which is what I was getting before all my line problems started.

My question is this: Will my sync speed restore to 2176 eventually (it used to be this) or do I need to persuade PlusNet (or BT) that they need to do something?

Regards
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 01-Mar-11 21:29:43
Print Post

Re: Slow sync speed

[re: FarmerGilesUK] [link to this post]

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 16.0

the latter margin is quite high and hence depresses your speed. If your line is rock solid it should come down and hence give you more speed.

You could try restarting the modem / router at 10am and repost the stats.

If it doesn't shift in a few weks you could ask your ISP to get it reset to 6 dB, which may take some effort !

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User wanapoo
(member) Tue 01-Mar-11 21:37:33
Print Post

In theory you maybe retraining where the router needs to be connected with no disconnections for 72hours -10 training period.

If the speed hasnt gone back up automatically after 10 days, then bt may have put you on a fixed profile because of the problems you've had. Then you'l have to call your isp and ask them to remove or reset your profile.

Edited by wanapoo (Tue 01-Mar-11 21:39:50)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User b_bliss
(newbie) Fri 04-Mar-11 19:15:15
Print Post

If you are really 7km from the exchange, and you are getting 2mb sync speeds, I would be pretty surprised. On a 63db att, I would be surprised to see anything above 1 meg, which is what you are currently getting, but I guess it depends on the quality of your copper, pairs etc

Maybe covering old ground. but I am assuming the PSTN line is ok (no noise, crackles etc)? If not, that should be your first point of call, especially if the line is a long one.

Lowering the SNR may work... If I were you, I'd contact your ISP, ask them to request an SNR reset (I am also assuming this is on the older 20cn network). That should reset and recalculate the SNR for you.

If that doesn't help, you could ask your ISP to log a long line fault with BT. That will usually result in an engineer who should come and check the line, all the pairs, check e and d side for errors and maybe lift and shift it in the exchange. It should be noted that the ISP may ask you to check your kit before raising the engineer, as it is possible a faulty router can cause the rate you sync at to drop, but it isn't very likely

If that doesn't work, there ain't much more you can do. As DSL is not guarantee'd, it can be a real pain to get BT to do anything, especially if there is only 2 properties on the line. It may be a case of like it or lump it frown

Hope that's some help

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben
entanet Technical Support
entanet International Ltd
http://www.enta.net
http://opinion.enta.net
(newbie) Fri 04-Mar-11 20:49:51
Print Post

[re: b_bliss] [link to this post]

Thanks all for the replies.

We are 7km from the exchange, but the line quality is (when there are no faults) surprisingly good. As far as I'm aware, all the line faults have now been rectified and BTW have just done a cease and re-provide (don't know if this is the same as a lift and shift, which they did a while back too).

My neighbour is less than 20yds from me and I've looked at his (Thomson 510) router stats, hence my post.

I think my current slow sync speed is, as suggested, due to the sheer number of faults we had on this line. At one point it would be a record for the router to remain connected for an hour! Its only worked reliably for 2 months in the last year (yes really).

I'm hoping that a period of stability, may cause a a reset of the BRAS profile and my line speed will improve. Plusnet have made it clear that they are unlikely to be interested in requesting BTW do a SNR reset. Actually, I do have a contact at BTW who is quite senior, so if it doesn't sort itself out, I'll have a word and see if he can do something (it was he who did the last cease/re-provide for me, which finally fixed the issues.

By the way, I used to have an Entanet DSL and it was definitely the best service I've had AND the best tech support. Wish I could get one out here in the sticksblush

Regards
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 04-Mar-11 22:10:17
Print Post

I used to have an Entanet DSL and it was definitely the best service I've had AND the best tech support. Wish I could get one out here in the sticks

that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, Entanet services are available on any exchange.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
(newbie) Fri 04-Mar-11 22:27:29
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I thought Entanet was only available on LLU exchanges?
Standard User iwish
(committed) Fri 04-Mar-11 22:31:54
Print Post

You can Enta just as you can use any other isp
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 04-Mar-11 22:34:57
Print Post

the opposite, Entanet run over BT Wholesale. They might have a bit of local LLU somewhere but if they do it's incidental.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User b_bliss
(newbie) Sun 06-Mar-11 19:46:48
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

We don't supply anything over LLU, only BTW network.

So, if your line comes from BT, you can get broadband supplied by ourselves smile

Our leased lines go over different carriers, but thats it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben
entanet Technical Support
entanet International Ltd
http://www.enta.net
http://opinion.enta.net

Edited by b_bliss (Sun 06-Mar-11 19:48:17)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to