General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dougieonline
(newbie) Mon 07-Mar-11 10:14:45
Print Post

no mac code

[link to this post]

I hope some one can help me with this problem. Not new to broadband but this was my first change of supplier. In desperation to get away from what appeared to be a change of contract and a bump from one months notice to 24 I asked for my account to be closed. Only after did I realise that meant I dont get a MAC code.
The information I need is what steps are needed to overcome this. Most ISP's seem to suggest in their bumf that a MAC is needed and if you dont have one they can not take you on. Question is, can I still get a broadband supplier without that MAC code.
Dougie
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Mar-11 10:20:27
Print Post

Re: no mac code

[re: dougieonline] [link to this post]

1. Talk like 5 minutes ago to the provider and ensure they are clear you want a MAC so that you can migrate
2. If the ISP has already issued a CEASE for your broadband into the wholesale systems, probably too late to get a MAC

You can still sign up without a MAC, but not until the broadband has stopped working. In short it is just like ordering broadband for the first time.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 07-Mar-11 10:21:06
Print Post

Yes, but you will probably have to pay a setup charge. You won't be able to order until the ADSL Cease order placed by your existing ISP is carried out by Openreach. You will probably also be charged by your existing ISP for the ADSL Cease.

Which ISP is it? Can you get the cancellation stopped? Probably not, without a new contract frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dougieonline
(newbie) Mon 07-Mar-11 10:52:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Andrew and RobertoS,
many thanks for the swift replies. I had hoped it would be like starting from fresh with a new broadband supplier but reading various ISP's statements online was not sure.
Its TalkTalkBusiness. Ex F2S. Had good service then when the change over happened I had to find a new method of payment. I was told this would more than likely entail a change of contract. After some 20 odd hours of trying to get hold of accounts on the phone ( thank heavens it was a freephone number ! ) I gave up and asked for my account to be ended. Only later did I realise that meant a cease. To late to get a MAC code.
Ill now wait for the service to cease and then apply to a new supplier and see what happens. Dont mind paying as long as I get the service and contract I want.
Dougie
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 07-Mar-11 13:11:34
Print Post

smile
A good idea, while you can, would be to start a thread in Which ISP? (Residential) saying what service and contract you want. There is also a Which ISP? (Business) forum but I don't know how good that is.

It would be useful in that thread if you could post the line stats from your modem or router, see here for help, and also the link to what samknows says about your exchange.

Good luck smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
  Print Thread

Jump to