General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TheBadgerUK
(newbie) Mon 07-Mar-11 17:28:11
Print Post

BT Account cancelled - now I cant get another supplier

[link to this post]

Hi

Just joined as left BT and wanted some advice!

My account has been closed with BT as of 1/3/11, unfortunately I didn't have time to get a new supplier before my contract ended due to there being problems with my address, after speaking to BT they advised that if I dont cancel atleast 14 days before my contract ends then my contract will be automatically re-newed for another 12 months, so I had to cancel.

Now when I try to get broadband and phone from any other supplier there is a problem with the line and they say they will have to re-connect the line, and charge, i have contacted BT about this and have been advised that there is a tag on the line which could take up to 30 days to remove, but that other suppliers shouldn't have a problem with connecting a phone but broadband will have to wait until the tag is removed.

I am now confused as to what to do, new suppliers are saying the line needs reconnecting and BT say it doesn't, where do I go from here?

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

James
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Mar-11 17:34:10
Print Post

Re: BT Account cancelled - now I cant get another supplier

[re: TheBadgerUK] [link to this post]

If you cancelled both the phone and broadband then you are in the situation where ordering another phone service is the same as ordering a phone as if you were new to the property.

You should have been able to migrate the broadband and move the phone services, rather than a plain cancellation, in short the path is meant to be simpler. Alas as you are part the way down the path you are stuck with it now.

1. Find who you want to provide your phone service
2. If this is the same people as you want to provide your broadband, they should be able to provide the phone first, and shortly after the broadband.
3. What you cannot do is sort the broadband out first, the phone has to be active and running to ensure all the tags get cleared up.

The reason BT say they can reconnect the line, is that they want you back as a customer and waive this connection fee but put you into a 12 or 18 month contract.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Mar-11 17:34:59
Print Post

I f the line still has a dial tone then no re-connection charge should be applied, have you tried the post office? failing that going back to bt (line rental only) maybe as a option and go from there.

Edited by tommy45 (Mon 07-Mar-11 17:37:38)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Mon 07-Mar-11 19:33:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Many thanks for your reply

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If you cancelled both the phone and broadband then you are in the situation where ordering another phone service is the same as ordering a phone as if you were new to the property.
Yes, unfortunately I had to!

You should have been able to migrate the broadband and move the phone services, rather than a plain cancellation, in short the path is meant to be simpler. Alas as you are part the way down the path you are stuck with it now.
Unfortunately when trying to get a new supplier there was a problem with my address, my postcode wouldn't bring up my address but another up the road, when I used my phone number it just came back with something along the lines of, "we cannot help you online please call...........and one of our advisors will be able to help", even before I cancelled!

The reason BT say they can reconnect the line, is that they want you back as a customer and waive this connection fee but put you into a 12 or 18 month contract.
BT have charged me £30.00 for cancelling, something to do with the work undertaken by BT wholesale to remove my broadband connection and update the records for my line, they have advised a connection fee will apply if I return to them!

Thanks for your reply once again, I shall choose my supplier and take it from there, but should I be able to get a phone line before the tag has been removed, within the next 30 days, for example?
(newbie) Mon 07-Mar-11 19:41:20
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
I f the line still has a dial tone then no re-connection charge should be applied, have you tried the post office? failing that going back to bt (line rental only) maybe as a option and go from there.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes my phoneline, through a normal phone, straight in to the socket, gets a dial tone, as does my BT Homehub, funny that though, PlusNet advisor asked me that the other day when I called them to try and get a phone n broadband with them!!

Yep tried the Post Office, it says, "We cannot confirm availabilty for this number"

Yep thought of going back to BT, but after charging £30.00 to cancel and an unknown fee to re-connect, I really want to stay away!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Mar-11 20:05:33
Print Post

The tag is referring to just the broadband a phone line should be possible, BUT if getting both from the same company their internal procedures may be the issue

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Mon 07-Mar-11 20:52:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The tag is referring to just the broadband a phone line should be possible, BUT if getting both from the same company their internal procedures may be the issue

Thanks MrSaffron

I seem to be having problems with both, I understand the tag now, but its the phone line I don't understand, all the suppliers are saying theres a problem with the phone line, like the statement above, I have a dial tone and BT assure me that the line is fine for other suppliers to provide a phone line!

i seem to be stuck in a corporate loop!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Mar-11 21:08:25
Print Post

Suspect it is down to the address issues and things not tying up, classic computer says no

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Mar-11 22:51:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by TheBadgerUK:
Yep thought of going back to BT, but after charging £30.00 to cancel and an unknown fee to re-connect,
If you have a dial tone, then there should be no phone connection charge.

What happens if you dial 1470 17070?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
(newbie) Tue 08-Mar-11 10:15:25
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
If you have a dial tone, then there should be no phone connection charge.
A few people have said this now, and if you read below.....

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
What happens if you dial 1470 17070?
It gives me a completely different number to any I have had at this address, bizarre!!! I shall go and try this number on the supplier sites again and let you know what happens.

Thanks for the reply
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to