General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 08-Mar-11 12:48:20
Print Post

IPv6 email spamming scare

[link to this post]

ISPreview article.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 08-Mar-11 12:55:26
Print Post

Re: IPv6 email spamming scare

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

IP addresses are only one part of the spam fighting picture, most of the really effective stuff seems to be content and reputation based.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 08-Mar-11 12:59:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Bit of a scare story I think... not at all sure that
the primary method for stopping the majority of spam used by email providers is to track bad IP addresses sending email and block them
is entirely true, although it is used it's a bit of a sledgehammer approach.

Greylisting seems to work well, and doesn't care what the IP address is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Mar-11 13:03:15
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I'm not sure that I'd agree with that. My experience in running Spam prevention software for a fairly large corporation is that the most effective measure is to take account of blacklists. We used them not as an absolute but as a weighted factor in determining if particular mail was Spam.
Standard User AEP
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Mar-11 13:07:25
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I'm pretty sure that Greylisting does depend upon IP address. There's no point in relying upon the name of a sender or domain as they can be easily forged. It's far more difficult to forge the IP address of a connecting SMTP server.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 08-Mar-11 13:11:51
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

I was just going by the criteria used by Google and other spam filtering services and reported by headers. The sending IP address of spam is already pretty dynamic.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 08-Mar-11 13:13:31
Print Post

of course greylisting uses IP address, the point is that it will take out all spam in the "one spam per IP" scenario. It works by delaying mail from IPs it hasn't seen before, reputable senders won't be changing their SMTP server IP address 20 times a second.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User AEP
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Mar-11 13:16:35
Print Post

Dynamic IP addresses tend to be listed in blacklists. Not many genuine SMTP servers use a dynamic address.
Standard User AEP
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Mar-11 13:20:59
Print Post

Delaying mail from an IP address that the server hasn't seen before is not acceptable in a corporate environment. A huge percentage of mail will be coming from unknown senders, and that alone should not be a reason to delay or filter it.

Spam filtering in such an environment is an extremely difficult balancing act between weeding out the Spam and placing any restrictions upon incoming e-mail. Blacklists are extremely useful as one factor in a rounded strategy. By using such techniques I managed to reliably filter out about 66% of the emails arriving at our company servers.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 08-Mar-11 13:22:22
Print Post

Delaying mail from an IP address that the server hasn't seen before is not acceptable in a corporate environment

It is however widely used. Go look it up.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to