General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 11-Mar-11 00:06:04
Print Post

Exchange not to be upgraded

[link to this post]

The current BT adverts for their new Infinity broadband make me furious. The reason is that exchanges such as mine have not even been upgraded to allow for speeds of up to 20MBp/s & BT have told me they have no plans to do so anytime soon. It may be a rural area but I'd still like to be able to download a movie in high definition without it taking all day. There are also homes where more than one device uses the internet connection and of course some people do work from home but BT doesn't take notice of any of this. We were one of the last to have broadband switched on, are we going to be waiting until 2015 before the speed increases? Cable is unfortunately not available here, is there any way to get BT to upgrade our exchange?
Yours,
Frustrated at BT
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 11-Mar-11 00:10:19
Print Post

Re: Exchange not to be upgraded

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

One way was to win the Race To Infinity http://www.racetoinfinity.bt.com/winners

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 11-Mar-11 00:16:36
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

The race to Infinity was a non-starter. I rushe to the website only to be told we didn't have enough homes for to even enter the race. Thank you BT!
Frustrated at BT

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Mar-11 00:20:41
Print Post

Oh! It was a three-legged race? grin

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 11-Mar-11 00:24:53
Print Post

Do you have enough homes to do it as a community project?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User Cobra001
(committed) Fri 11-Mar-11 01:32:17
Print Post

why should bt or any other company provide service where they would be out of pocket.

Business will only invest where they can make money. They will also invest in the areas that offer the best return on their money.

When I live in the city get a solid 16 meg connection , when I am down in cornwall only get 1/2 to 1 meg and it suffers from jitters.

I don't like under any delusions that BT or anyone should spend money so the house can get fast internet it just not financially viable
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Mar-11 08:41:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
It may be a rural area but I'd still like to be able to download a movie in high definition without it taking all day. There are also homes where more than one device uses the internet connection and of course some people do work from home but BT doesn't take notice of any of this.
BT are a business. Why should they install and operate something at a loss just because it would make your life better? Or - why should I have to pay extra for my service in order cover the cost to BT of upgrading your service?

Anyway BT isn't the only telecoms provider in the country. BT have at least provided you with broadband. From the sound of it no other telecoms company has bothered to do that. Admittedly they surely had their own reasons for doing it(*) but still it seems a tad ungrateful to attack the only company that has been able to do anything for you.

(*)Probably to protect the value of their local loop when mobile phones took off.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 11-Mar-11 09:13:35
Print Post

Give BT lots of money or any of the other providers that can do ADSL2+ via LLU

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Koppo
(regular) Fri 11-Mar-11 09:27:28
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Why should they install and operate something at a loss just because it would make your life better? Or - why should I have to pay extra for my service in order cover the cost to BT of upgrading your service?

Typical city-dweller entitlement attitude. Why would you have to pay "extra" to cover the cost of BT reaching the final third and at least giving small-town exchanges WBC? OFCOM would have kittens if BT announced they were raising rental charges to subsidise broadband roll-out elsewhere in the country. Don't talk [censored].

My exchange has 9k lines and we still only get ADSL Max.

I think you got it the wrong way round. It's the non-urban customers, with sub-par services and options, that are subsidising the FTTC connections of the townies by having to pay the same line rental charges as everyone else. We should be entitled to similar services, or we should be getting our phone service discounted. We're the ones paying "extra" so you can have your shiny cabinet sitting on your street.

BT made over a billion pounds in profit last year. No-one wants to hear their viability excuses. They are clearly doing very well for themselves.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 11-Mar-11 09:31:57
Print Post

[re: Koppo] [link to this post]

What speed are you getting now? Since anyone with under 5Meg sync is not going to benefit much if at all from the upgrade to ADSL2+

If an exchange has a large proportion of lines in this category it may explain why it is further down the list.

You say your exchange was only enabled for ADSL pretty late, in which case likely to be the same for ADSL2+.

With 9000 lines then talk to TalkTalk they are unbundling some exchanges with only 2500 lines in them and offering ADSL2+. There is no need to rely on BT

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to