General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 11-Mar-11 21:06:01
Print Post

Questions about 21CN

[link to this post]

I want to start doing streams on popular streaming websites and now that my exchange has 21CN I thought that I may as well benefit from the 1.4 upload (currently 832k)

My current ISP is ADSL24 on Office 45. It is ok but I believe a change to an ISP such as Xilo would be beneficial. Some questions relating to the change -

1. How is 21CN set up? I knew that on Entanet (and also MurphX?) it is nodes put around the UK. My line never suffered any congestion problems since the Scottish nodes (one in Glasgow and Edinburgh) seemed to be enough. If I change to 21CN am I going to suffer from congestion if all the processing is done in say London for example? Obviously the best case scenario is nodes like 20CN.

2. Xilo have a tough choice but someone here might be able to clarify the decision. They have an Office 40 package at £23.49 (excl VAT) so £28.19 in total. They then have a Home 50 package at £26.03. The Home package seems the best choice but I recall there being something about priority at the exchange for Office products. Is this still relevant with 21CN and if so, how much of a real world difference on a network that seems to not have an issue with congestion?

3. How strict is the 200 GB FUP on Xilo? Is like 210 GB going to be acceptable?

Thanks
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 11-Mar-11 21:35:16
Print Post

Re: Questions about 21CN

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Have a look at Zen, the do not count uploads in your allowance.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 11-Mar-11 21:57:19
Print Post

My only gripe with Zen would be no off peak usage. By the time I obtained my weekly TV shows over the month I would have nothing left.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Mar-11 22:17:46
Print Post

2) Office has higher priority than Home.

3) If you constantly exceed it, we may contact you but now and again, you'll be fine.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 11-Mar-11 23:05:15
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Thanks Matt.

Anyone got specific answers to question 1? Just curious.
Standard User Ribble
(regular) Sat 12-Mar-11 00:17:04
Print Post

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchanges/21cn_ove...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 12-Mar-11 10:16:39
Print Post

Which exchange is it please? The link to what samknows says about it would be ideal.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 12-Mar-11 17:34:54
Print Post

Any answer to 1 is almost out of date by the time they type it.

A node may not be congested now, but might be if a few weeks....

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Mar-11 18:07:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Additional capacity (in terms of connectivity to the node) gets added all the time. But whether the individual ISPs keep up with pace is another question!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AOL > Virgin Media > Tiscali > Falconnet > UKFSN > Norfolk Internet
2mbps > Shapped 512k > 1mbps! > 6.5mbps > 4.5mbps > 6.5mbps
ADSL Joy. 31db att, 9db SNR, EntaFail.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 12-Mar-11 22:13:00
Print Post

[re: krazykizza] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by krazykizza:
Additional capacity (in terms of connectivity to the node) gets added all the time. But whether the individual ISPs keep up with pace is another question!
I think it's the second part of your answer that is the more relevant; ie the ISP has to have sufficient MSIL capacity that is usable at a non-penal rate for exceeding the contracted amount.

However the Entanet problem was very much down to them going for WBC not WBMC, plus a BT policy decision at the last moment to do excess usage billing by the node, not overall. Allied to the fact that individual MSANs can be routed (on a fixed basis) to non-obvious nodes and not being able to get details of that routing from BT.

As a result they had an almost impossible task finding the correct capacity at each node.

ISPs using WBMC don't have that problem. They just need to contract for enough.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
  Print Thread

Jump to