General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User acwales
(newbie) Sat 12-Mar-11 14:09:47
Print Post

Currently with SKY phone/bb, thinking of changing TTor PLUS?

[link to this post]

Need some advice please.

Currently on a Phone/ line rental / Broadband ONLY package with sky, no TV. I was a tv customer but didnt want that anymore, so to keep me on they offered me a year deal with Phone and BB for £12.50 a month.

This is coming to an end. So firstly I was thinking of asking them if they can extend this offer to keep me, if not looked on moneysavingexpert.com and they suggested:

1. TalkTalk bundle: From £12/mth
Line rental, broadband, calls, 12 month contract

2. Primus & Plusnet: From £15/mth
PlusnetLine rental, broadband, 12 month contract

Both are close to what I am paying now, but I know both dont have real positve reviews. Can anyone give me some advice as to which they think is a good option to take?

Many thanks,
Andy.
Standard User Finguz
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Mar-11 14:19:23
Print Post

Re: Currently with SKY phone/bb, thinking of changing TTor P

[re: acwales] [link to this post]

I can't comment on the phone packages but neither TT nor Plusnet can compete with the quality of your Sky broadband connection, stay where you are smile This is of course assuming you are on LLU, if not the other two are probably better for broadband tongue

My Broadband Speed Test

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed

Edited by Finguz (Sat 12-Mar-11 14:20:42)

Standard User acwales
(newbie) Sat 12-Mar-11 14:26:04
Print Post

[re: Finguz] [link to this post]

was worried of that, just not sure SKY will extend this deal I am on. Will call them to ask. Thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Finguz
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Mar-11 14:50:16
Print Post

Best of luck! We're only pay £15 per month though, so if they refuse to keep the offer going it's not a huge increase for you smile

My Broadband Speed Test

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed

Edited by Finguz (Sat 12-Mar-11 15:39:28)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Mar-11 14:58:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by acwales:
This is coming to an end.
You sure? Or do you mean the Minimum Term is expiring? It is unusual for ISPs to have fixed length contracts; usually they are open-ended after a Minimum Term, with 1 months notice of termination.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 12-Mar-11 14:59:14
Print Post

Well if they haven't contacted you to advise of an increase of price and it doesn't state in the t&c's that the price that you have been paying for nearly 12mts was an offer for only 12mths and the price would be £xx.xx per month after that. then it should be a normal rolling monthly contract at the same £12,50 each month,
ny calling their sales they may well try to sign you up for another 12mths, which you should not need to keep the price as is
Standard User acwales
(newbie) Sun 13-Mar-11 14:26:05
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

They gave me a promotion for 1 year, to keep it at £12.50. So I assume this will come to an end at the end of the term, but I guess they may extend it to keep me on.

So really no one has any thoughts on Talk Talk or Plus net? Other than SKY BB is alot better?
Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Sun 13-Mar-11 14:51:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by acwales:
So really no one has any thoughts on Talk Talk or Plus net? Other than SKY BB is alot better?

How long is a piece of string? Anyone's guess!

Another poster says TT & PlusNet cannot compete with the quality of SKY. May be true for him but not necessarily for others.

I note his sig quotes 14.7Mbps down 0.9Mbps up. Perfectly respectable.

FWIW, I'm on a TT LLU connection and get 17.5Mbps down 0.8Mbps up and I'm happy with that, especially as it is 24/7.

At the end of the day, or your contract if that happens, you will have to make your own mind up. Try to find someone in your area who has either TT or PlusNet and ask their opinions.

Out of interest what are your current down/up speeds. It may not be worth changing.

As others have said you may want to negotiate with SKY to keep you as a customer. I did that with TT and got a very good deal.
  Print Thread

Jump to