General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User smarteric
(newbie) Mon 14-Mar-11 09:35:23
Print Post

BT Upgrade

[link to this post]

My Local Exchange, "New Mills" underwent an upgrade 2 weeks ago, since then, what was a steady 6Mbps has become so erratic, I get 8Mbps at 5 am and by 6/7 pm it goes down to less than 0.5 Mbps

I have reported the problem to BT only to be met with the Indian call centre scripted response ie its my equipment at fault, as an ex BT technical officer I do have enough Knowledge to isolate my own wiring and equipment, they find that hard to fathom.

They keep telling me they are remotely working on it at the exchange, that bit i can understand,

I have been reading other posts on this matter and people quote line stats, i presume they are the info taken from your router, i have accessed my router (bt homehub 2) and cannot find the stats info,

can anyone help me on this matter ?

smarteric (new member)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Mar-11 10:03:07
Print Post

Re: BT Upgrade

[re: smarteric] [link to this post]

If the modem is continuing to still connect at the same speeds throughout the day then probably nothing to do with you, but more to do with congestion in the exchange or the capacity BT Retail rents from BT Wholesale

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User smarteric
(newbie) Mon 14-Mar-11 10:17:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply, I am aware of congestion, but the only thing to have changed is the exchange equipment which you would expect to have more capacity and throughput.

Unfortunately the call centre workers are tasked with minimising engineering visits, by trying to resolve your problem over the phone, dont have a problem with that but when they take you through the same scripted process 4 days in a row and get identical results, you would think that was the point to escalate the problem

still none the wiser where to get my line stats from though !

thanks again

smarteric

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User alwall
(member) Mon 14-Mar-11 12:12:30
Print Post

How to get line stats

BTBroadband
Standard User EndOfTheLine
(newbie) Fri 18-Mar-11 22:40:36
Print Post

Been experiencing the same issues myself. Live half a mile from New MIlls exchange and was getting 5/6 meg. Now down to 500 kbps in the evening and 8 meg in the day. Not much use when your at work all day!!! I rang and reported and was told that as it was a bulk migration on 1st March it may take until the end of the month until it settles down and gets better. Have requested an update tomorrow. Any news and I'll post. For stats on a hub 1.5 you can find them under Configuration/Status/ADSL Line/Details.

Whether you used to work for the company or still do there's no shortcuts anymore!!!
Standard User smarteric
(newbie) Sat 19-Mar-11 10:30:24
Print Post

[re: EndOfTheLine] [link to this post]

I was supposed to have a visit yesterday from BT, they rang me and cancelled, i asked why they were visiting anyway, they didnt really know why other than to do some end to end testing on the line, i explained the situation about the lack of speed in the evening, and the Bt guy agreed it would be a fairly pointless excersise visiting as it was almost certain to be a fault with the exchange equipment since they installed the BT Broadband Boost equipment, he advised i e mail my complaint in which i have done and still accept the rescheduled visit on Tuesday otherwise India would possibly close the fault off

As an aside I know some of the guys who test broadband, but sadly not ours, they agrred it was congestion but they cant get involved as its another part of the company.

endoftheline have you reported it and what is their response

martin
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Mar-11 12:16:46
Print Post

Hi, finding the BT Home Hub v2 router stats.

In your browser address bar type in 192.168.1.254
If you have a recent hub, it will ask you to fill in some boxes which are simple to do. If you have an older hub the username and password will be admin.

Once you put in the password, click on advance settings, then click broadband, then ADSL, the hub stats will be there.

http://www.filesaveas.com/bthomehub.html

http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/howto1.html

Orange (SMPF) LLU 20 Meg. Sync 11864 Kbps Downstream, 1157 Kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ wireless router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User EndOfTheLine
(newbie) Sat 19-Mar-11 13:19:38
Print Post

Hi SmartEric

My story sounds similar to yours. I went through all the usual crib sheet questions... Have you dis'd off everything from the NTE5. Have you tried wired instead of wireless etc... Had already tried all that and even swapped my hub out. Not that I expected the hub to be the problem. They first advised me they would get an engineer to the ex and would update me yesterday. I ended up ringing them again and they said they are still waiting for an engineer to do testing. Supposed to be getting another call from them today.

My gut feeling is that we'll end up getting nowhere. Just have to sit it out and hope things improve. If it isn't a straight forward line probloem or faulty kit in your home I think they struggle to have the skill to resolve. The current culture within the company is to do a lot more remotely and remove the skill from the field but unfortunatley this doesn't seem to resolve things quickly.

There's always a chairmans complaint I suppose? Don't know how far I'd get though as my line is paid for by them!!!!

If I hear anything will let you know.
ISP Representative BT_Care
(isp) Mon 21-Mar-11 13:41:30
Print Post

Hi EndOfTheLine and Smarteric,

I would like to take a look at your Broadband for you. Please could you fill in your details using the link below? http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4950

Please make sure to include a link to this thread. Once I have received those details I will investigate this and reply to you directly.

Thanks

Paddy,
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User smarteric
(newbie) Wed 23-Mar-11 07:30:08
Print Post

I emailed my complaint, and asked to speak to a uk based broadband engineer or manager
I received a call from the broadband technical dept in Northern Ireland, The technician explained that she could see from the test results (speedtester.bt) which are stored on their server that it was an exchange problem, it was obvious to her ! I asked "do I need to stay in, when the engineer visits on Tuesday" she said absolutely no need as she would direct the fault to the exchange engineers ! result ? no ! within the hour I received a call from India telling me the engineer would visit me on Tuesday afternoon, despite protestations I was told they need to visit my home, I again e mailed in my complaint (still to get a response) the engineer duly visited and established my line was "capable" of 10 Mbps but clearly wasnt able to actually achieve that, I showed him my download stats, to which he said there was no need as he could see it was an exchange fault, I asked how many similar problems had he been to and been able to fix, he answered he had visited lots, but they were always exchange faults

He was unable to tell me what would happen to my fault as all he did was report back, they are now treated as 3rd party contractors and not allowed to talk to the broadband technical people, I will try the tech helpline number again in 5 minutes and no doubt be asked to unplug all my own wiring etc and be advised of potential charges

more to follow (the first line test yesterday was about 9 Mbps about 7 am, then just after 6 pm it was down to 0.3 Mbps

martin
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to