General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 14-Mar-11 12:57:48
Print Post

Slow Speeds

[link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/1...

I am connected with Demon at 3680kbps and according to http://speedtester.bt.com I have throughput of 3000k and a similar speed of 1300k.

In the past I used to connect at around 1920k with a connection speed of about 1.5Mbit, but we had a new phone line installed whilst I've been away at uni and this has more than doubled our connection speed. However when I got home last night it appears the connection is actually slower than when I left!

I'm getting these speeds when my computer is plugged in by Ethernet to the router and given that I get close to 100Mbit on speedtests at uni it seems unlikely the problem is with my laptop.

Thanks
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Mar-11 13:08:11
Print Post

Re: Slow Speeds

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Post your router stats.

EDIT: 100 Megs at Uni? Then you weren't on ADSL.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 14-Mar-11 13:09:24)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 14-Mar-11 13:39:38
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Router stats below, no I don't use ADSL at uni, essentially I've been there for a couple of months which is why I wasn't around when new phone line was installed etc

Actual Data Rate

Up Stream

448 (Kbps.)

Down Stream

3680 (Kbps.)

[Go Top]
Operation Data / Defect Indication:
Operation Data

Upstream

Downstream

Noise Margin

24 dB

8 dB

Attenuation

49 dB

63 dB

Indicator Name

Near End Indicator

Far End Indicator

Fast Path FEC Correction

Interleaved Path FEC Correction

Fast Path CRC Error

Interleaved Path CRC Error

Loss of Signal Defect

---

Fast Path HEC Error

Interleaved Path HEC Error

Received Cells

Transmitted Cells

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 14-Mar-11 14:05:02
Print Post

It's a bit hard to understand the info you are giving. For example, the link to the BT speed tester is just that! It doesn't show your results, which would be very useful. (Ah, just before posting - I get you. BT test said configured throughput during the test, and IP Profile in the result, of 3000kbps. Plus a download speed of 1300).

You have to copy/paste them. (As far as the end of the upstream figures - the verbiage below is useless).

Also "I used to connect at around 1920k with a connection speed of about 1.5Mbit"? You connect at your connection speed. Do you mean an IP Profile of 1500kbps?

Please can you tell us the exchange, so we can check for any obvious congestion? The link to what samknows says would give us other information as well as the exchange name.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 14-Mar-11 14:07:26
Print Post

What router is that? The attenuations look strange, especially with a 3680 connection speed.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 14-Mar-11 14:12:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Results from BT Test:

Download of 1300kbps and an IP profile of 3000k.

(Last time I was at home our IP Profile was 1500k but since then we have had a new phone line installed)

Exchange is THANET
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 14-Mar-11 14:14:40
Print Post

Philips SNA6500 (pretty old now)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 14-Mar-11 16:35:28
Print Post

Definitely Thanet, not Minster Thanet?

Though neither is showing a problem.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 14-Mar-11 17:07:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In the last hour or so, it seems to have improved (1500 Iplayer stream working fine) and speedtest.net reporting 2.9, so basically as fast as line can go.

However, thinkbroadband.com test is still slow (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/130012210984362122202.html) and Sky Player is buffering at all but the lowest quality setting. Sounds like problem is at Demon's end, so maybe time to change provider, I see that Sky and Orange provide unbundled services at my exchange, are they likely to be faster?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 14-Mar-11 18:12:48
Print Post

If you have iPlayer and Sky Player running at the same time you can expect problems on that line. But Demon is often reported to have congestion problems at times.

Sky LLU should be better, and I would advise a new router. Beware of Sky LLU being fully taken up though, as they would then put you on the non-LLU Sky Connect, which is dreadful.

Orange LLU gets very mixed reports. I don't know what causes the differences. Orange non-LLU again needs avoiding.

How much do you pay per month for the broadband, and how much download/upload per month do you need? There are a few resellers can provide decent services there.

I assume as it is a new line that will be on a minimum 12-month term so you are looking at partial LLU.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to