General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User infra_red
(member) Tue 15-Mar-11 14:50:21
Print Post

My line is much faster than it used to be

[link to this post]

OK so I've taken my eye off DSL developments in the last few years since Max started so I'm a bit out of touch. At the time I started getting Max my line was at about 800 kbits/s - but in the last few months my line can sync at 16498 and I get much faster speeds at about 1.3 mbits/s. I'm still with the same ISP. What's changed?

For info my exchange is WNRUA
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 15-Mar-11 14:51:30
Print Post

Re: My line is much faster than it used to be

[re: infra_red] [link to this post]

You've moved from ADSL to ADSL2+

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User Ribble
(regular) Tue 15-Mar-11 14:51:51
Print Post

Probably changed your line from a G.DMT (ADSL1) Connection to an ADSL2+ connection

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JNeuhoff
(committed) Tue 15-Mar-11 15:08:12
Print Post

but in the last few months my line can sync at 16498 and I get much faster speeds at about 1.3 mbits/s.

Assuming your synchronization speed is meant to be 16498 kbps, then there is something seriously wrong here, you should see much faster speeds than 1.3 mbps, it should be closer to 15 mbps!

J.Neuhoff - MHC Web Design
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 15-Mar-11 15:17:22
Print Post

[re: JNeuhoff] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JNeuhoff:
but in the last few months my line can sync at 16498 and I get much faster speeds at about 1.3 mbits/s.
Assuming your synchronization speed is meant to be 16498 kbps, then there is something seriously wrong here, you should see much faster speeds than 1.3 mbps, it should be closer to 15 mbps!
smile
Are you being pedantic/awkward, or have you missed the fact the OP doesn't know the difference between kb and kB, or even bits and bytes, in both posts? I agree it gets boring trying to explain it to people, (and that it matters!), especially when they mix them up in the same post as this one does.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 15-Mar-11 15:18:17)

Standard User infra_red
(member) Tue 15-Mar-11 19:41:14
Print Post

[re: JNeuhoff] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JNeuhoff:

Sorry for the confusion my network monitor reports in bytes but my router in bits.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Mar-11 19:46:31
Print Post

Change the units of your network monitor to be consistent with normal usage, to save being confused and confusing others.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User infra_red
(member) Tue 15-Mar-11 19:58:17
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Change the units of your network monitor to be consistent with normal usage, to save being confused and confusing others.

OK boss.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 15-Mar-11 22:14:21
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
The problem is though if he is also using it to measure his usage against allowance, as from the point he changes it he will be adding in usage in the new units to the total at the old ones.

This will continue until the start of next month, 1 April.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Mar-11 23:00:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Surely, the s/w is intelligent enuff to convert past readings as well as future readings to keep them in step. After all, it's only a change of units, not quantities. I can do it with NetMeter.

Think we are using diff meanings of "usage". I was talking about "common usage" not "BB usage". Anyway it is clearest to measure BB usage/allowance in Bytes, while speeds are in bits/sec. Again, NetMeter can.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to