General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jdowning640
(member) Thu 17-Mar-11 22:29:20
Print Post

7Mbps v 2 Mbps

[link to this post]

So on one line I get 2208Kbps download and on the other I get something around 7500Kbps download (both sync speeds).

These lines are very nearly right beside each other, they are within 10 metres of each other.

One is on BT (the 7500Kbps line) and the other is with Sky (both line rental + broadband).

I called up Sky today and told them this and they said that it must be a problem with my router. I told them that I've tried different routers and they continue to blame it on the microfilters etc.
They asked me if I plugged the modem directly into the test socket and I had did this, not a difference.

Does this mean that it is a problem externally? On the other line which is now achieving 7Mbps sync, I was previously getting speeds like this. It took six engineers and finally I complained to BT's CEO and he sent out probably one of their best engineers. He replaced the cables on the pole outside and told me that I had got the last pair or something and that if there was any other problems they'd need to get an underground team out.

So here's my router stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2208 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 37.0 db 19.5 db
Noise Margin 6.1 db 10.0 db
Poll Interval: (secs)

They are basically identical on the other line (with the best speeds except the downstream speed is different obviously).

My questions:

1) If it does prove to be a fault on the pole, what happens next? Will they just say that they can't do anything because there's no more space left for anymore lines on the pole?

2) Does it mean if I plug into the test socket that it's a problem externally? There's no noise on the line.

3) How can I ensure I won't be charged if Sky give in and send an engineer out?

By the way, both lines are connected to the same cabinet. Get around the same attenuation and I have confirmed this with BTW.

Thanks

Jack
Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Mar-11 22:37:10
Print Post

Re: 7Mbps v 2 Mbps

[re: jdowning640] [link to this post]

For a more informed answer you need to post the line stats from the router on the dodgy line.

It is quite possible that the dodgy line takes a different route back to the exchange.

Dave
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 17-Mar-11 22:42:28
Print Post

That is a noisy line ...

What are the comparative figures from the good line?

They may go back to the same cabinet but from there they could be in different cables back to the exchange or even different parts of the same cable and it is picking up more interference.

Without curing that and it could be near impossible there is not much you can do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Thu 17-Mar-11 22:44:39
Print Post

[re: Rockh] [link to this post]

Dodgy line stats are above.
(member) Thu 17-Mar-11 22:58:22
Print Post

From the good line:

VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 8.5 dB / 6.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 35.1 dB / 19.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 5.9 dBm / 0.3 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote) 0 / 0

ADSL Downstream:
7328Kbps

ADSL Upstream:
448Kbps
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Mar-11 01:03:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by jdowning640:
From the good line:
Output power (Down/Up) 5.9 dBm / 0.3 dBm
Funny! Power looks low on good line. What is it on bad line? Also, bad line's equivalent of this:
In reply to a post by jdowning640:
Modulation G.992.1 Annex A

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 18-Mar-11 07:02:33
Print Post

Is the Sky line an LLU service - if yes then it may be their DLM has locked you down to a 2Meg profile - if line always syncs at 2208 then that almost confirms this

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User NickyJ
(member) Fri 18-Mar-11 09:48:30
Print Post

Looking at your stats I would have thought that noise is the problem?

Noise margin on good line: 8.5 dB
Bad line: Noise Margin 6.1 db

I have a noise of about 6, and my speed synched at 5Mbps by the end of the test.

I did some investigation, and swapping out the old microfilter and putting the new one in, made a huge difference (jumped to over 10dB). I convinced Sky to retry now that I had sorted out the noise, and I jumped to synching at 14.5Mbps, that has dropped to 12Mbps today but even so, much more what I would expect based on the attenuation for the line.

My Broadband Speed TestMy Broadband Speed Test
Just switched from Talk Talk business (nee Freedom 2 Surf) to Sky.
(member) Fri 18-Mar-11 11:15:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Nicky & MrSaffron,

LLU isn't enabled on my exchange so it's definitely not.

It sync always between the region of 2xxx. It can fluctuate at times so I don't think it's a profile which has been locked.

I've tried different micro filters and tried using the test socket but no difference.

What next?

Thanks, Jack
(member) Sat 19-Mar-11 16:41:46
Print Post

Hi guys,

Have booked an engineer with Sky (BT Openreach) but I need to ensure that I won't be charged a fee.

Is it definitely within their range of problems if I've tried the test socket?

I have until tomorrow to confirm! Please help.

Jack
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to