General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User markjm44
(newbie) Tue 22-Mar-11 11:00:50
Print Post

Moving Router

[link to this post]

Hi Everyone, first post, so im not sure if this is in right area, im looking at moving my router and i have a couple of questions.
1. i will need some new cabling 5m in length to hook router up to my adsl filterplate, any recommendations out there, ive read cat5 is the best to use.
2. Where my router will be is below my Electric circuit board approx. 4-5 ft away, will this have any effect on my router.
Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Mar-11 11:12:04
Print Post

Re: Moving Router

[re: markjm44] [link to this post]

4 to 5 feet to distribution board probably ok.

As for cable look at www.adslnation.com they have various pre-made cables that are twisted pair (the pro series)

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User markjm44
(newbie) Tue 22-Mar-11 11:24:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User trolleybus
(newbie) Tue 22-Mar-11 12:44:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

As for cable look at www.adslnation.com they have various pre-made cables that are twisted pair (the pro series)

OP said 5m, now in my book that's around 15 feet! I believe the request for information was whether a longer telephone cable could be used to inter-connect the router to the ADSL filter. Surely the requirement is for an RJ11 extension cable where the use of a high quality cable of 5m would be OK. OP confuses the issue by mentioning CAT5e.

David Bradley
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 22-Mar-11 13:40:06
Print Post

[re: markjm44] [link to this post]

Whatever comes out of the previous two replies, just make sure the cable when you install it doesn't go near the electricity circuit board, and if it has to cross any power cables it does so at as near to right-angles as possible.

Running power and signal cables next to each other, (in parallel), can be bad news for the signal.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User Finguz
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Mar-11 13:48:27
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:

OP said 5m, now in my book that's around 15 feet! I believe the request for information was whether a longer telephone cable could be used to inter-connect the router to the ADSL filter. Surely the requirement is for an RJ11 extension cable where the use of a high quality cable of 5m would be OK. OP confuses the issue by mentioning CAT5e.

David Bradley

No, he said..
2. Where my router will be is below my Electric circuit board approx. 4-5 ft away,
smile

My Broadband Speed Test

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 22-Mar-11 13:50:41
Print Post

[re: Finguz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Finguz:
In reply to a post by trolleybus:

David Bradley

No, he said..
2. Where my router will be is below my Electric circuit board approx. 4-5 ft away,
smile
He said
1. i will need some new cabling 5m in length to hook router up to my adsl filterplate

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User Finguz
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Mar-11 15:10:13
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Indeed he did say both 5m and 4-5 ft, but Mr.Saffrons reply that the guy I replied to was referencing only mentions the 4-5 feet from the electricity distribution board.

Clearly he said 4-5 feet which isn't 5m or 15 ft smile

My Broadband Speed Test

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed

Edited by Finguz (Tue 22-Mar-11 15:10:38)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 22-Mar-11 15:36:48
Print Post

[re: Finguz] [link to this post]

But the distribution board isn't going to be radiating MW anyway.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 22-Mar-11 16:05:21
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
But the distribution board isn't going to be radiating MW anyway.
Not even if it's got a British Gas Smartsomething electricity usage transmitter like ours has?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to