General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Allan1
(regular) Tue 22-Mar-11 17:46:30
Print Post

A Daft Question

[link to this post]

and probably asked in the wrong place.
I'm sure it must be obvious but why do I have to have a call package with a telephone line? Where I live there is only BTW lines available. I'm happy to pay a line rental to get Broadband.
I know I can get other companies to run a calls package apart from BT retail - but I never use the landline to make calls, as I have a perfectly good VOIP system and a mobile phone that sometimes works. BT Retail charge me for not making enough calls on the landline - although if I didn't have a broadband service(and that's nothing to do with BT Retail?) I would get a reduced rate - and I guess any other company that did call packages wouldn't want a customer who isn't going to buy anything - so why do I feel that I'm being compelled to pay someone for a facility that I don't want to use?

Al
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Tue 22-Mar-11 18:13:42
Print Post

Re: A Daft Question

[re: Allan1] [link to this post]

Ahh yes, I was looking at all this when getting my own broadband sorted out (just moved house). If you don't make at least 2 chargeable calls on a BT line per month, they will charge you an extra £1.50 for the line rental. Hilarious stuff! (always read the small print!). I was thinking I would have to do some mad 'Linux/crontab/dig out my old US robotics 28.8 fax modem/wire that up to my Linux router' antics to dial some chargeable number twice every month (preferably a dial-up provider so as not to annoy anyone) just to avoid this £1.50 charge.

But all was not lost. I decided (based on my personal requirements of IPv6, and having not tried them before) to go with Andrews and Arnold. They will give you a broadband only line for £12 a month flat rate, no frills. No chargeable calls can be made outbound on it; you can still make 0800 and emergency calls, however. They then bundle this into your broadband package on top, so I end up paying a single bill, one provider, for my line rental + broadband.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with the arrangement. I use my mobile these days if I want to call someone. I just can't see the point of using the landline anymore (especially when I'm out and about most days and paying a flat rate per month for my mobile contract).

Now on <aaisp.net>
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Mar-11 19:00:37
Print Post

You don't have to have a Call Plan but it will depend on the terms you took your Line Rental.

If you are on Line Rental Saver you need to make 2 chargeable or inclusive calls pm to not pay any extra.

If you tool the £30 Connection Offer you need to make 10 chargeable or inclusive calls pm to not pay any extra.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Mar-11 19:02:58
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mixt:
If you don't make at least 2 chargeable calls on a BT line per month, they will charge you
Doesn't have to be chargeable; can be inclusive.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User Allan1
(regular) Tue 22-Mar-11 19:03:58
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

I looked at them when I was changing ISP and thought the bundled line referred to installation of a new/additional line rather than taking over an existing one, and hence it would have incurred an installation charge - but a good call if one had to install a new line.
I must add that I'm completely happy with the ISP that I did choose - Xilo.

Al
Standard User Allan1
(regular) Tue 22-Mar-11 19:22:19
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

The bill says that I should have made 6 chargeable or inclusive calls per quarter - what a chore frown
Next I'll be getting a bill from the Post Office for not writing any letters - smile

Al
Standard User boysteve
(member) Tue 22-Mar-11 19:25:02
Print Post

The BT Line Rental Saver is a good deal so long as you remember to make those 2 calls.I've just read on MSE of someone having to pay £8.10 for only making 5 calls last quarter.
Another good deal if its line only is IDNET @£11.22 per month on monthly rolling contract.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Broadband Unlimited LLU without TV
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Mar-11 19:47:36
Print Post

Next I'll be getting a bill from the Post Office for not writing any letters

You won't have any bother from them as long as you remember to buy a book of 12 first class stamps once a month tongue smile

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User Allan1
(regular) Tue 22-Mar-11 20:52:28
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

and if I don't they'll send Jess around?

Al
Standard User Allan1
(regular) Tue 22-Mar-11 21:01:24
Print Post

[re: boysteve] [link to this post]

For that price there's no caller display. I think BT are actually cheaper if you take out the caller display - which, I think, also removes the obligation to make calls. Though caller display has been highly useful - when the phone rings you can see who you're ignoring.

Al
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to