General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User FarmerGilesUK
(newbie) Tue 22-Mar-11 21:42:31
Print Post

ADSL Modulation (Thomson ST585)

[link to this post]

Hi all

Bit confused now... I always thought that the modulation on Plusnet ADSL should be G.992.1 but my *new* ST585v6 is reporting G.992.2 Annex A. I've tried to change this using opermode=multimode but it stayed as G.992.2 Annex A

Do I need to change this, if so which opermode value do I need to set? Everything seems to work.

Regards
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 22-Mar-11 21:47:07
Print Post

Re: ADSL Modulation (Thomson ST585)

[re: FarmerGilesUK] [link to this post]

Hmm G.lite

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 22-Mar-11 22:03:03
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Do try to be a little more helpful and informative, especially to newcomers to the bbs.

Not everybody is familiar with your usual posting style.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 22-Mar-11 22:08:18
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
Do try to be a little more helpful and informative, especially to newcomers to the bbs.

Not everybody is familiar with your usual posting style.
I don't think your post is helpful in the slightest to be honest.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
(newbie) Tue 22-Mar-11 22:08:20
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Batboy - Do you mean I should set the opermode to G.lite?

As in adsl config opermode=g.lite?

Is using G.992.2 Annex A going to cause problems/instability etc?

Regards
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 22-Mar-11 22:10:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by FarmerGilesUK:
Batboy - Do you mean I should set the opermode to G.lite?

As in adsl config opermode=g.lite?

Is using G.992.2 Annex A going to cause problems/instability etc?

Regards
It appears G992.2 is also called G.lite. It apparently has a max sync of 1.5Mbits down and 512kbits up.

What is your connection synced at?

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Mar-11 22:11:04
Print Post

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. smile

(newbie) Tue 22-Mar-11 22:24:43
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Trouble is its very broke frown

I'm struggling to get a decent connection speed. Admittedly I'm on a long line BUT using Kitz's speed calculator I should get better going by my 61db attenuation figure.

Interestingly, my next door neighbour who is on the same overhead line (just a different pair) gets a very respectable 2mbps download and his connection is very stable at 2400, even at night, although his SNR does drop to 4.5db - He stays happily connected for 8+ days without a resync.

If I try to sync at anything over 1600 with a SNR of 8-11db, I get loads of FEC errors and the modem resyncs. By loads of errors I mean c26,000,000 FECS last night.

Just as a test, I used DMT tool to pull down the SNR margin slightly syncing at 1728 and my connection dropped after about 1 hour.

A senior guy at BT thinks there may be an issue with "pairs" not actually being a "pair" if you get mt drift, but whether they'll come out to investigate again I don't know.

Its a real pain in the ****

Edited by FarmerGilesUK (Tue 22-Mar-11 22:26:02)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 22-Mar-11 22:27:35
Print Post

I'd raise it with your ISP, looks like they have a configuration problem.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Mar-11 22:31:48
Print Post

"A senior guy at BT thinks there may be an issue with "pairs" not actually being a "pair" if you get mt drift, but whether they'll come out to investigate again I don't know."

Split pairs are a whole different ball game. Start at the beginning, get an ADSL trained engineer out. I wouldn't be surprised to find you and your nieghbour on different E-sides (exchange to street cabinet). Keep plugging away at your BB ISP, it's down to them to see that this gets resolved.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to