General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RyanPod
(newbie) Mon 28-Mar-11 21:35:26
Print Post

what next help i'm new to this

[link to this post]

Today my phone line was activated ive moved into a new home (woah it feels weird havent moved in 12 years) and my phone number was reconize online within 3 hours so ive ordered sky broadband unlimited online and would like to know how long and what happens now
Standard User acpsd775
(regular) Mon 28-Mar-11 21:49:58
Print Post

Re: what next help i'm new to this

[re: RyanPod] [link to this post]

You should get an email confirming your order with a few details in sky usually takes about 10days to become active on the line and they'll send you your router in the next few days you'll also get a welcome letter explaining exactly what to do etc one note do not plug the router into the phone line untill the day of activation.

Ash

-------------------------------------------------------------
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
[IMG]http://speed.io/pics/4107/0447/speed.io.png[/IMG]

2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited

Desktop 1 Intel Core i5 2500 4gig DDr3 1333 64GB SSD 250gig sata 3 HDD 1TB sata 2 HDD Blu-ray RW Nvidia 8800GTS Win 7 Pro
Desktop 2 Intel Atom 330 2gig DDR2 677 250gig sata 2 HDD DVD-RW Win 7 Pro
Desktop 3 AMD Phenom 9500 2gig DDR2 677 500gig Sata2 HDD DVD-RW No specific os (test machine)
Standard User RyanPod
(newbie) Mon 28-Mar-11 22:24:20
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

may i ask why shouldnt i plug the router in until activation day ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Mar-11 22:24:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
one note do not plug the router into the phone line until the day of activation.
Why not? What harm can it do?

I connected a Sky locked router (which I'd been sent by mistake) to my Orange BB line and it Sync'ed OK but, of course, did not authenticate. I then flogged it smile

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 28-Mar-11 22:25:44)

Standard User acpsd775
(regular) Mon 28-Mar-11 22:30:30
Print Post

Im not 100% sure why your not meant to but it states in the sky welcome letter that you must not lol the only people who can actually answer that is sky them serfs

Ash

-------------------------------------------------------------
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
[IMG]http://speed.io/pics/4107/0447/speed.io.png[/IMG]

2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited

Desktop 1 Intel Core i5 2500 4gig DDr3 1333 64GB SSD 250gig sata 3 HDD 1TB sata 2 HDD Blu-ray RW Nvidia 8800GTS Win 7 Pro
Desktop 2 Intel Atom 330 2gig DDR2 677 250gig sata 2 HDD DVD-RW Win 7 Pro
Desktop 3 AMD Phenom 9500 2gig DDR2 677 500gig Sata2 HDD DVD-RW No specific os (test machine)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Mar-11 22:54:07
Print Post

The only reason I know of, which I've seen with several migrations, is that the BT changes take place before the account is fully activated on the ISP's systems, and this has caused awful throughputs until a router reboot after the account is properly set up at the ISP end.

So maybe they have a similar constraint, or even cannot complete the setup if the line is in use when they try?

You may not know that a new broadband activation requires BT Openreach to connect the line from the user to the ISP/wholesaler DSLAM and the PSTN phone service at the exchange to the DSLAM as well, to get onto the subscriber line.

As I understand it, if the phone is being LLU'ed as well then the PSTN does not get connected to the DSLAM. It is up to the SP to separate the two at their end. I could be wrong there.

In this instance I assume the phone rental is staying with BT. If not, the OP is going to get a nasty shock unless he picks it up and gets that part cancelled.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User NickyJ
(member) Tue 29-Mar-11 13:58:25
Print Post

I signed up on saturday 19th Feb, I was connected on the 7th March.

I received the modem router on the 24th Feb, in which I received the connection date of the 7th.

When I got in from work on the 7th, I unplugged the old modem, plug in the Sky one, and it was all working.

My Broadband Speed TestMy Broadband Speed Test
Just switched from Talk Talk business (nee Freedom 2 Surf) to Sky.
Standard User RyanPod
(newbie) Tue 29-Mar-11 14:44:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I dont understand you - The line has been activated and ive ordered sky broadband the order has gone through?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 29-Mar-11 19:29:08
Print Post

I was answering this question.

I did say a new activation could be similar to what happens with migrations. What I didn't say is that the "accounting" side of the account will be set up, but the broadband control side of it may not be.

It seems that often the ISP doesn't do that side of it until the forecast (by Openreach) activation date or perhaps sometimes until Openreach notify the ISP that the physical connections are in place.

What I don't know is what this broadband control side entails, but it will be things like setting/unsetting line caps and noise margins and so on. Maybe some line testing from their end.

So if you connect before when they say, even though Openreach may connect it a couple of days early, (which can happen if an engineer has to visit the exchange for some other reason), you can get wierd and worrying results.

All a bit of a grey area, but many people who have found their connection working before the expected date have found it rubbish until they reconnect at the right time.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User RyanPod
(newbie) Wed 30-Mar-11 14:16:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I see so never get inpatient and plug in the router when it comes wait for the activation date then plug it in!

Thanks ive learnt that now

: i called Sky Broadband last night - and asked if my order was all okay and inplace - the bloke said - Yes all ok - activation date 6th april which is next week they said 14 days but its less so i'm quite happy.

then this morning i got a text confirming the activation date is the 6th so got to sit tight for 1 week, hope all works out well
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to