General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 29-Mar-11 15:18:56
Print Post

Wiring from an NTE5A

[link to this post]

I'm getting a bit confused by several recent posts in different places, some of which state definitively, and others imply, that extensions should be daisy-chained off the IDCs.

As I understand it, there is nothing to say you shouldn't star-wire from the faceplate, or even mix star and daisy-chained from it.

Any BT/Comms engineers around?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User RSTSGeek
(newbie) Tue 29-Mar-11 15:34:12
Print Post

Re: Wiring from an NTE5A

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I am not a BT Engineer, but I have had a couple of them come across my own star-wired extensions at home.

Neither of them had any negative comments to make about it.

- Alex
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Tue 29-Mar-11 15:41:59
Print Post

Wiring from the IDCs of the customer connection unit of a NTE-5 (A or B)* may be daisy-chained or star wired or a mixture of both.
The problem arises when a NTE-5 is fitted to an already star wired set-up, so that when the customer connection unit is removed and the test socket exposed, other sockets remain connected.

When a NTE-5 is fitted it should always be wired so that all extensions are connected to the IDC's of the customer connection unit so that when the test socket is exposed there is a dial tone at the test socket and nowhere else.

As far as Broadband is concerned, a filter faceplate on the NTE-5 is the way to go.

* A or B in this case refers to the type of NTE, not the A and B terminals.

Edited by systemx (Tue 29-Mar-11 15:52:29)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 29-Mar-11 18:20:42
Print Post

Re: Wiring from an NTE5A or NTE5B

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

Thanks smile. That's what I thought.

(And yes, I suppose I should have said NTE5A/B. I do know the difference tongue).

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Tue 29-Mar-11 18:30:38
Print Post

Re: Wiring from an NTE5A or NTE5B

Sorry Bob, I was not trying to be a smart [censored] but there is always some confusion and someone would be bound to say you are not supposed to connect to the A and B terminals and then we would be off on a long post about how much BT charge to fit a nte5 and then someone would bring up alarms and Redcare circuits and on and on it would go.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 29-Mar-11 19:04:02
Print Post

[re: RSTSGeek] [link to this post]

Thanks to you too smile.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Mar-11 19:52:34
Print Post

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

Seconded. smile

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 29-Mar-11 20:20:53
Print Post

I am an engineer with a large house (say around 10 extensions in the house - all wired though not all have phones), set up is - nte5 first, ssfp, then a wire (about 20cm) to a box connection where all the extensions are teed into the feed from the socket. same as having all at the nte5 except that would not fit!
The nte5 has a an adsl filter plate ensuring all filters / alarms etc are filtered - there is no degradation in service whatsoever compared to plugging into the test socket.

I have had this argument with the daisy chain brigade and from my experience star wiring past a filter faceplate is perfectly fine and indeed preferable (as if one extension goes faulty it can be isolated rather than messing up every other extension after it), a straight 6/8w to every socket direct also allows greater flexibility for providing multiple lines etc.

Star wiring before the nte is problematic although in most cases I suspect it is more the case of the multiple unfiltered bell wires than the actual star wiring causing an issue (although technically it can cause issues on longer lines)

Daisy chaining seems to be the preferred route for those who want an easier life / cheaper installation costs i.e. house builders / electricians - but then they also use braided tin alarm cable so wouldnt trust a thing they say about adsl.
Standard User RSTSGeek
(newbie) Tue 29-Mar-11 21:08:46
Print Post

You are too kind !
My contribution was negligible compared to the others.

- Alex
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 29-Mar-11 22:21:51
Print Post

No reason why you cannot use any of the three solutions - star, daisy chain or combination. Just use a filtered faceplate to ensure full filtering.

I run from faceplate to another socket and also to a BoxCon200 along with several other lines and from there in a combination of star and daisychain connection - about 10 sockets around the house. Some of the daisychain links are very short and a couple are very long.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to