General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User melodyr
(newbie) Sat 02-Apr-11 09:05:41
Print Post

Router Hacker?

[link to this post]

OK new to this forum and just downloaded the broadband usage thingamybob and this is why..

I have a 40Gb download limit and up to the 30th of this month i've managed to double this!

I download a few movies a month, surf the net, facebook and stuff but can't work out how the heck i've manged to clock up so much.

i fear my routers being hacked....

any advice?
Standard User acpsd775
(member) Sat 02-Apr-11 09:18:27
Print Post

Re: Router Hacker?

[re: melodyr] [link to this post]

Do you by any chance use a lot of face book games they dont look like much but my cuz used to go threw 1 gig in 2 days exclusively with face book lol. That's the only think she goes on and used to have mobile broadband and was having to top up every 2 days till i told her with amount she was paying out a month she could have an unlimited internet provider lol. So possible there doing the same for you and eating up all your bandwidth if you use them that is of course

Ash

-------------------------------------------------------------
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
http://speed.io/pics/4107/0447/speed.io.png
2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited

Desktop 1 Intel Core i5 2500 4gig DDr3 1333 64GB SSD 250gig sata 3 HDD 1TB sata 2 HDD Blu-ray RW Nvidia 8800GTS Win 7 Pro
Desktop 2 Intel Atom 330 2gig DDR2 677 250gig sata 2 HDD DVD-RW Win 7 Pro
[img]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/ACPSD775...[/img]
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Apr-11 09:48:31
Print Post

Is it with BT?

I have seen quite a few posts where BT's usage meter seems to be a little suspect.

On your router can you see the usage?

Steve

*** Campaign complete: Edenbridge has BroadBand! ***
*** http://www.GetEdenbridgeADSL.co.uk ***

ISP: ZeN

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User melodyr
(newbie) Sat 02-Apr-11 09:55:38
Print Post

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

Hi Steve

Its Talk Talk.

It doesn't show usage on the router. I've gone into it and changed the password for wireless but other than that, there doesn't seem to be anything in it to tell when and what I am using.

All I have got is a graph in my on-line Talk Talk account that shows I've gone way over my limit. It only shows by days.

I changed my password for the wireless bit just in case but it's all just numbers to me, I can't really tell. There seems to be two computers attached to it. I don't know what this means...my desktop is connected with the ethernet but the notebook is the only wireless computer connected in here. So I am unsure if the other PC is a hacker, or my desktop...I have never enabled my desktop to go wireless - where would I take it ha.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 02-Apr-11 10:46:44
Print Post

Few movies - well if for example HD from XBox Live these can be 8GB a time.

Presume you mean tbbmeter, do the figures in that broadly agree with what TalkTalk say? Also if you do a speedtest does the height of the graph roughly agree with the speedtest result?

If you are using wireless, then tbbmeter can only show what is happening on the computers it is installed on

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 02-Apr-11 15:41:25
Print Post

Is your wireless security set to WEP or WPA/WPA2? WEP is useless.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Apr-11 16:08:28
Print Post

Desktop + Laptop does equal 2 attached devices, or do you mean there are 2 just connected by wireless and there should be only 1?
In reply to a post by melodyr:
So I am unsure if the other PC is a hacker, or my desktop
In that list of 2 attached PCs you should see a list of MAC Addresses. If you do "IPCONFIG /all" in a command window on both the Desktop & Laptop you should see the MAC Addresses of their relevant adapters listed as
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-EE-DD-CC-BB-AA
You should then be able to identify which is which.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User melodyr
(newbie) Sat 02-Apr-11 18:26:23
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Theres just one connected wireless - the notebook.

When I type in IPCONFIG in the run command it flashes a screen for a second then closes?

This is what's in the router:

Connection Status
Help
Connection Name Status Online Duration Access Type
nas_0_38 Connected 00:52:37 DSL
nas_0_65 Connected 00:00:00 DSL

IP Information
Help
Connection Name IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway
nas_0_38 2.99.206.173 255.255.255.255 2.99.192.1
nas_0_65 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

DNS Information
Help
Connection Name Primary DNS Secondary DNS
nas_0_38 62.24.243.1 62.24.243.2
nas_0_65 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

Not sure if that copy and paste will work but it's showing under WAN network nas-0-38 and nas-0-39?

In WAN connection, it looks like I am nas_0_38 because this has all my password stuff in it but the other ones limited.

If that's all utter nonsense, I can see my MAC code in device info. In the LAN-Side Devices area I can see two MAC codes. neither of them are my desktop. The LAN host is me.

Does any of this mean anything?
Standard User melodyr
(newbie) Sat 02-Apr-11 18:30:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Looks like its WPA...
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Apr-11 19:27:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by melodyr:
When I type in IPCONFIG in the run command it flashes a screen for a second then closes?
No, it needs a command window 1st. Type "CMD" into the Run box and then type "IPCONFIG /all" into that.

What router's that? Looks unusual.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sat 02-Apr-11 19:30:04)

Print Thread

Jump to