General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User matmat
(newbie) Tue 05-Apr-11 15:34:51
Print Post

Which ISP, which tarrif?

[link to this post]

Hi - my question is quite specific hence I'm posting after having researched a little online.

I currently use BE Broadband and have been happy with the service. However I have been unhappy with the number of outages caused by dodgy BT lines for which BT have called out engineers, not found faults, tried to charge me, then subsequently admitted there was a fault...

In short I am looking for a home connection without it relying on BT.

- I *never* use a landline
- New home *might* not have a BT line anyway as hasn't been occupied for a long time = rather avoid paying BT to reconnect
- I care about net neutrality issues
- I'd like the option of upgrading to a fibre service without having to wait until my minimum contract has run out
- I don't really like Virgin Media / TalkTalk etc. as they are lowest common denominator and I'm a power user with a technical background; their service annoys me.

Do I have any options given the above?

Or should I just get BT in and use a LLU service for now?

Mat
Standard User john2007
(legend) Tue 05-Apr-11 15:41:54
Print Post

Re: Which ISP, which tarrif?

[re: matmat] [link to this post]

Power user? You mean you download a lot?

Which exchange? http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search
Standard User matmat
(newbie) Tue 05-Apr-11 15:44:58
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Power user in the sense I prefer to use my own router and configure it, and also I'm impatient with tech support phone lines that are less technical than myself. I know I may have to just lump it, however.

But yes, I also download a lot. Definitely no download data caps.

I know I'll have to compromise on one of my requirements, but it's a question of exactly which one! Advice gratefully received.

ETA: my exchange is Chiswick, London.

Also, previously mentioned dodgy BT lines: this is in London Zone 2 we are talking about!

Edited by matmat (Tue 05-Apr-11 15:49:38)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User john2007
(legend) Tue 05-Apr-11 15:48:48
Print Post

You'll need a BT line, although it might be cheaper to get the Post Office to install it and you could pay line-rental to another party. It's still a BT line.

The other issues are dependent on your exchange.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Tue 05-Apr-11 15:50:54
Print Post

O2/Be LLU or Sky LLU.

Probably O2 if you have an O2 phone, Sky if you want Sky TV.
Standard User matmat
(newbie) Tue 05-Apr-11 15:56:12
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Thanks. Would you definitely advise against using a cable broadband service for now then upgrading to Fibre (i.e. Virgin Media)?

I'm not wild about them but perhaps they have a reasonable upgrade path for new contracts taken out (in terms of upgrade price / installation work) ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Apr-11 16:14:28
Print Post

>against using a cable broadband service for now then upgrading to Fibre (i.e. Virgin Media)?

What do you mean? Virgin Media is cable service, they have no fibre upgrade plans, their network has the fibre as close to the customer as it ever will be.

Presume Metro Ethernet fibre solutions at £200 ish a month would be too expensive?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Tue 05-Apr-11 16:17:52
Print Post

Virgin media is no more a fibre service than normal phone line ADSL. If you can prioritise your usage e.g. speed over quantity, then others in your locality could advise better.
Standard User matmat
(newbie) Tue 05-Apr-11 16:26:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.

I was referring to Virgin Media 100Mb, which is not yet available as far as I knew.

I wondered, if I took out a 10Mb package with Virgin Media for now, whether the upgrade would require a new cable installation.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Apr-11 16:29:02
Print Post

VM 100 or 200 or 300 will all use the same cables, no more fibre involved than there is in the 10 meg product

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to