General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bgriffiths
(member) Wed 06-Apr-11 00:51:15
Print Post

Line fault between pole and cabinet (possibly)

[link to this post]

Had a BTO engineer round today to investigate a sudden (& permanent) drop in sync from 3.4 - 4.0mpbs to 0.8mbps. He spent well over the normal 2 hours; pronounced the household wiring good to the pole, went over to the cabinet (about 50 yards down the road) and said he was reading 4+mbps on the exchange side, but the pole was only getting about 0.8mbps from the cabinet. He left saying give it a couple of days to see if anything re-sets as a result of his tinkering around, then raise the fault again for further investigation.

Any ideas what the problem could be? The engineer was baffled by it. More importantly is the solution likely to involve digging up the road / pathway. It's a private road & we have just paid to have the thing resurfaced - I'd hate to have the neighbour's nice new tarmac ripped up so soon after. Is the cable from cabinet to pole normally ducted or just buried?

entanet
OfficeMax45
UKFSN
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Apr-11 02:41:49
Print Post

Re: Line fault between pole and cabinet (possibly)

[re: bgriffiths] [link to this post]

If what he says is true then it's a joint has come adrift/ gone HR somewhere. It's almost certain that no digging will take place. The engineer will almost certainly certainly fix it by finding a spare pair to bypass the fault.
I've been unlucky but every pair swap that I've been subjected to has resulted in a noticeable degradation in my line quality. Pair swaps are obviously a naturally and rapidly diminishing quickfix that will soon I hope, be completely exhausted.

Edited by Deadbeat (Wed 06-Apr-11 02:42:38)

Standard User bgriffiths
(member) Wed 06-Apr-11 07:47:39
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

hmmmm, thanks for the reply Db. I have a feeling he might have tried that already

ISP: Goscomb Technologies

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 06-Apr-11 09:00:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by bgriffiths:
Had a BTO engineer round today to investigate a sudden (& permanent) drop in sync from 3.4 - 4.0mpbs to 0.8mbps. He spent well over the normal 2 hours; pronounced the household wiring good to the pole, went over to the cabinet (about 50 yards down the road) and said he was reading 4+mbps on the exchange side, but the pole was only getting about 0.8mbps from the cabinet. He left saying give it a couple of days to see if anything re-sets as a result of his tinkering around, then raise the fault again for further investigation.
????
So he left without getting a 4Mbps connection at the premises?

It would be truly amazing if some "tinkering around" at the cabinet had a delayed effect on that. I think he had to bail out because at 2 hours he had already run out of allocated time and to justify it he booked the fault as cleared.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User bgriffiths
(member) Wed 06-Apr-11 18:21:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
????
So he left without getting a 4Mbps connection at the premises?

yes; I'm stuck on 864k down / 832k up

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It would be truly amazing if some "tinkering around" at the cabinet had a delayed effect on that. I think he had to bail out because at 2 hours he had already run out of allocated time and to justify it he booked the fault as cleared.

That's what I thought, although his van was still parked next to the cabinet over an hour later (could just have been having his sandwiches I guess). I shall give it until tomorrow then raise it again - hopefully his write-up will be there for the next guy. At least my home wiring has been cleared, which is comforting

Brian

Standard User ggremlin
(member) Wed 06-Apr-11 19:43:18
Print Post

is there any correlation between when the road surfacing being done and the fault arising?
Standard User bgriffiths
(member) Wed 06-Apr-11 19:52:32
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ggremlin:
is there any correlation between when the road surfacing being done and the fault arising?
Don't think so - that was finished well over a month ago, the adsl drop was sudden, just after midnight on 31/3. As far as I know the contractors just scraped the surface enough to get a decent layer of tarmac down. I'll ask the neighbours if they had any extra work done which involved digging down. Hope they did - then I won't feel so bad when BT come and rip it up

Brian

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Apr-11 21:08:35
Print Post

He spent well over the normal 2 hours

Most broadband repair tasks are now LLU SFI2, and there is no 2 hour rule for these. Truth be told, I believe they have waived it for the original SFI tasks also.

Any ideas what the problem could be? The engineer was baffled by it.

That'll be an HR fault on the D-side then, his required PQ test should have highlighted this, showing itself as a large imbalance between the ohms readings on each leg. Then a TDR should hopefully pinpoint the problem.

Standard User bgriffiths
(member) Sat 09-Apr-11 23:39:42
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Second engineer has been. Unlike the previous he is a local chap, often in the village, & said there are others nearby with similar problem. He has fiddled about at the cabinet switching the wires both sides; speed has increased to about 1500k downstream and the line is now stable, but still nowhere near the usual 3000-4000k.

He advised if no further improvement over the weekend ISP to re-raise as a possible fault at the exchange. I don't really understand that - if BTO are aware that there is an issue affecting a number of connections, why can they not put 2 and 2 together and assume ownership of what is likely to be a common problem?

Standard User ratonastick
(newbie) Tue 12-Apr-11 17:25:59
Print Post

Spooky, I have an almost identical problem.
Used to get at least 3.4mbps then dropped to approx 1mbps.
BTO engineer got 1.2mbps at the pole, approx 4mbps at the street cab.
Eventually OFCOM engineer found a source of REIN interference coming from neighbours house a few doors away.
After that sorted, speed went up to a flakey 3mbps, then 2.5mbps this winter, now around 2mbps.
No noise on phone and my ISP has decided to cap my line at 2mbps to make it stable !
I wish you luck getting this sorted. BT can't find a voice fault on my line so don't care.
ISP thinks 2mbps is acceptable, so aren't willing to pursue this despite my attenuation reporting as 49db !
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to