General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jmckeag
(newbie) Wed 06-Apr-11 09:40:36
Print Post

BT Adsl with fiber?

[link to this post]

I rung up BT about the on-going issue about where I live getting BT-Infinity.

They said they have another option, with a new service they are going to bring out.

They call it * ADSL With Fibre * I got told i could get 13.5MBS instead of the slow 3.5 i get at the moment, all the cabinets are upgraded for FTTC but we cannot get it.

Can they even offer this or are they just pulling my leg to get me as a customer for there ADSL?
I just don't trust BT had several issues with them in the past.

Just wondering if this is possible? they said that it's a new service they have brought out.

Edited by jmckeag (Wed 06-Apr-11 09:48:43)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Apr-11 09:50:16
Print Post

Re: BT Adsl with fiber?

[re: jmckeag] [link to this post]

It is VDSL2 as in FTTC and it is just BT Total and their marketing machine at work...

i.e. it is the same product as Infinity except the estimates suggest you will get under 15Meg, so BT Total does not want to sell you the Infinity product but another product under a different name,

Why - suspect so that the average speed for Infinity for adverts looks good.

Others have been supplied VDSL2/FTTC to lines like this for a while now.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jmckeag
(newbie) Wed 06-Apr-11 09:55:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you very much for that.

It does sound like VDSL/FTTC due to they said that it runs from the fibre from the exchange to the cabinet.

From the samknowschecker.

FTTC is available in your area

Downstream Min: 12.7 Mbps
Downstream Max: 28.7 Mbps
Upstream Min: 4.4 Mbps
Upstream Max: 6.6 Mbps

I have already contacted a few FTTC Resellers. they said I could get around max 8MB/S but they could not assure me the speed I would get. that's why BT won't offer it me, because I cannot get a Min of 15Mbps.

I know I could proberly get more due to the fact other people in my area are getting the full 40mbps. my line is around 5.5KM most of that is suppost to be from the cabinet to the house.

Do you think my ping will be as low as it is now?
I am currently with 02/BE

Edited by jmckeag (Wed 06-Apr-11 10:00:31)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Apr-11 10:51:05
Print Post

Sounds like ADSL2+ to me. A form of WBC just like FTTC, but with lower max speed due to being effected by exchange distance. ADSL with fibre just sounds like a nutrient induced cereal bar

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AOL > Virgin Media > Tiscali > Falconnet > UKFSN > Norfolk Internet
2mbps > Shapped 512k > 1mbps! > 6.5mbps > 4.5mbps > 6.5mbps
ADSL Joy. 31db att, 9db SNR, EntaFail.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 06-Apr-11 11:17:51
Print Post

What does this checker say about your line?

Nearly all the ISPs on this list will supply FTTC below 15Mbps estimates. If yours shows as 13.5Mbps on that checker you would in fact almost certainly get well over 15Mbps anyway. You will see two on there that supply as low as 5Mbps estimates, which is the equivalent of the BT Option 3 with Fibre product.

If you also put your phone number into the xilo/uno checker that would show if they think you can get it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User jmckeag
(newbie) Wed 06-Apr-11 17:57:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 512Kbps. However, due to the length of your line, an engineer visit may be required, who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 750Kbps and 2.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 13.5Mbps and upstream line speed of 4.6Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Note: If you already have a Broadband service enabled on this line and you want to switch service providers, you will need to contact both your current provider and your new provider to get your service changed over new and existing service provider to have this service transferred.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 06-Apr-11 23:23:17
Print Post

So that is where the 13.5Mbps estimate you were given on the phone comes from, as that is the definitive checker that all the others get their info from.

Did you try the xilo/uno checker to see if you could order? And have you considered the two who would definitely let you?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User jmckeag
(newbie) Thu 07-Apr-11 00:20:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I just think the other FTTC resellers are costly*

I use around 4-5GB transfer on a 3.5Mbps connection at the moment. daily*
So the transfer would just half hit BT'S BW cap.
  Print Thread

Jump to