General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User FarmerGilesUK
(learned) Fri 08-Apr-11 18:06:08
Print Post

Amazing - Stability at last!

[link to this post]

After all the issues I've had with my line/DSL, finally we seem to have achieved a stable connection. The last issue to be resolved was I removed a 20m long length of Belden UTP that was adjacent to my BT master box - This was eventually going to connect a telephone extension but I never used it as the line was so unstable that I didn't want to cloud the issue with in-house wiring affecting things.

I can't see how unconnected wiring could affect things but when I removed the cable, the next resync of the router was 300kbps higher and far, far fewer errors. Perhaps it was picking up noise from the overhead power lines (11kv I think). Anyway, up 8 days + and counting, AMAZING.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for their helpful suggestions and thanks to Kitz etc for their excellent technical info.

Regards to everyone.

Uptime: 8 days, 9:42:19
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 1,920
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 235.21 / 1.51
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 17.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 63.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 5.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / 
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 32,059 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 2,612 / 1,597,530
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 460 / 47,106
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 246 / 30,675
Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Fri 08-Apr-11 19:42:47
Print Post

Re: Amazing - Stability at last!

[re: FarmerGilesUK] [link to this post]

Still alot of CRC errors on that line.

============
Sky ADSL
============
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Apr-11 12:40:51
Print Post

[re: dave2150] [link to this post]

Considering that is a 9 day count, that is not too bad, real test is the throughput on the line

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 09-Apr-11 13:34:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

"Considering that is a 9 day count, that is not too bad"

Check the errored seconds. Roughly ten hours worth of errored seconds, call it around an hour a day. The DSL specs call for rather less than that. Whether it's achievable in this case is a different question.

"real test is the throughput on the line"

The real test is whether it works acceptably for the user and the applications of interest. Some apps are more sensitive to packet loss than they are to speed. Some punters are more sensitive to speedtest results than they are to packet loss or errored seconds smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Apr-11 13:44:54
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Error seconds does not mean the line was in error for a whole second, but in a second there was one or more errors.
This if error count is how but errored seconds is low then the error rate is bursty.

If user is happy then we can fight for days over the minute details of the post but it hardly matters

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User FarmerGilesUK
(learned) Sat 09-Apr-11 15:15:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

All interesting stuff though smile Speedtests show about 1440kbps which is better than I honestly expected this far from the exchange. As you say there is packet loss but it doesn't appear to be causing me many issues with what I do on my PCs tbh. Actually most of the big numbers of errors appear overnight when I'm not using the Internet anyway.

But.....it works and stays up smile

Be interesting to see how bad the errors get if I connect at a slightly higher sync speed?

Regards
  Print Thread

Jump to