General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 08-Apr-11 23:17:54
Print Post

bt infinity vs sky llu unlimited?

[link to this post]

HI there i just moved into my own house with a few m8s.

We got 3 xbox 360s 2 laptops n 1 pc. we will do doing alot of downloading in the day time mainly but more gaming in the evening, sky say we probs wud get a speed of around 4.5 meg and bt have sed 27meg. i like the sound of the 27meg bt sed the unlimited package is like sky truely unlimited i no there traffic management but will that be in the day time aswell? wud traffic management affect gaming in the evening?

my exchange is chelmsford essex

Thanks jake
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 08-Apr-11 23:36:33
Print Post

Re: bt infinity vs sky llu unlimited?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

The Sky product may be their good LLU stuff, called "Unlimited", or it may be their dreadful Sky Connect if all the LLU slots are already taken up.

The BT one is BT Infinity - Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC) - and you would probably get quite a bit more than 27Mbps. My estimate was 26.9 and I get the full 40MBps connection with 36Mbps real download speed.

It is true that starting this month it seems to be truly unlimited. There used to be a 300GB FUP but that has just been removed. But they reserve the right to throttle if they want to, and I think they do traffic manage P2P. Hopefully others will chip in on that.

However I didn't go for BT.

I went for IDNet. With a few of you I wouldn't think their higher FTTC packages would be a price problem, so click the "Live BQM" link in my sig to see my last 24 hours latency/ping. Pretty good for gaming? (The 10pm spike is a BT speed test using 16 threads).

If you click the website link in my sig, there is an FTTx page with a list of suppliers, and that page has a link to orly/yarwell's spreadsheet with a lot more info about them.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." JEAN-ANTOINE PETIT-SENN

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 08-Apr-11 23:37:46)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 08-Apr-11 23:45:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks 4 the reply. It sounds like we going to go with bt for the speeeeeeed tongue we will use p2p alot in the day my bt who lives here with us sed he's mum was on bt she was getting about 14meg but never had meny probs downloading films and music on p2p in the day time. I have looked at virgin media 50meg but think is 2 over priced plus there calls packages don't look great. So bt it is then smile when I get active will post back my speed test plus let you know how the p2p is. Thanks 4 ur help Jake smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 08-Apr-11 23:46:24
Print Post

*my mate not my bt*
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 09-Apr-11 00:15:45
Print Post

smile
If you register then you can edit a post for up to 12 hours.

Also you get rid of the ads between the posts, and see a lot more forums. You can post in all instead of being restricted.

You don't get spammed by the site.

We'll see what your post in the Fibre forum pulls in re P2P. Maybe not a lot, as not a thread everyone might read.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 09-Apr-11 01:49:30)

Standard User acpsd775
(member) Sat 09-Apr-11 01:05:40
Print Post

virgin media 50meg is the same price as bt infinity £25 a month with phone line bt infitiy as far as i no is 25 a month + phone line as well diff been bt is upto 40 and vm is 50 if vms available id go with vm over bt any day lol

-------------------------------------------------------------
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
http://speed.io/pics/4107/0447/speed.io.png
2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited

Desktop 1 Intel Core i5 2500 4gig DDr3 1333 64GB SSD 250gig sata 3 HDD 1TB sata 2 HDD Blu-ray RW Nvidia 8800GTS Win 7 Pro
Desktop 2 Intel Atom 330 2gig DDR2 677 250gig sata 2 HDD DVD-RW Win 7 Pro
[img]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/ACPSD775...[/img]
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Apr-11 23:55:57
Print Post

Make sure it's newsgroups you're using.

If it's Bit Torrent, you'll need to do a bit of tinkering with the settings to get it half decent.

Gaming should be perfect.

Given you'll appear to be a high use household, you'll definitely notice the upload speed making a big difference.

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?
Standard User New_Londoner
(member) Sun 10-Apr-11 05:17:22
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

Bear in mind that Infinity can support uploads twice as fast as the Virgin 50Mb service (10Mbps vs 5Mbps). This will matter to some of us more than others, is certainly important to me.

---

All opinions expressed by me are my own

BT Infinity
Speedtest result (excluding 2Mbps for BT Vision)
Standard User acpsd775
(member) Sun 10-Apr-11 09:10:04
Print Post

[re: New_Londoner] [link to this post]

Yes very true i do agree the upload is nice but then again i have a friend whose was on vms 50/5 and said hed switched to bt infinity for the extra upload saying i dont mind losing a bit of download to get it and then he got it he gets 5 meg upload still but lost a considerable download speed lol. So as soon as contracts over with bt going back to VM my point being maybe its worth seeing if anyone in the ops street has got infinity because if they cant get over 5meg meg upload or indded only get the 27 down bt say then for the same price vm would be very handy

Ash

-------------------------------------------------------------
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
http://speed.io/pics/4107/0447/speed.io.png
2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited

Desktop 1 Intel Core i5 2500 4gig DDr3 1333 64GB SSD 250gig sata 3 HDD 1TB sata 2 HDD Blu-ray RW Nvidia 8800GTS Win 7 Pro
Desktop 2 Intel Atom 330 2gig DDR2 677 250gig sata 2 HDD DVD-RW Win 7 Pro
[img]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/ACPSD775...[/img]
Standard User nonBEliever
(regular) Sun 01-May-11 19:09:31
Print Post

[re: New_Londoner] [link to this post]

Isnt Virgin fastest service 100Mb down and 10Mb up???
http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/help-and-suppo...
FTTC is nowhere near twice as fast in any sense.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to