General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User G0AOZ
(member) Mon 11-Apr-11 16:39:19
Print Post

Connections to Infinity service

[link to this post]

Whilst this neck of the woods is unlikely to see Infinity available for some time, other areas I go to may well get it/have it already.

I'd like to know if there's any new hardware to deal with...

The back view of a BT Home Hub (v3) shows a red RJ45 socket which is marked 'Infinity'.
So I assume instead of the usual RJ11 modem lead, we'll be using an Ethernet cable. Right?
What's at the other end?
Does the conventional NTE5 Master socket get changed?
Is a standard microfilter still used?

If there's a page on Thinkbroadband that details this, then sorry but I've missed it! Other than that, any other useful URLs that show what's what please?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Apr-11 16:41:52
Print Post

Re: Connections to Infinity service

[re: G0AOZ] [link to this post]

You get given a VDSL2 modem, which has a single Ethernet output port which has the WAN IP address on it.

You also get a new faceplate insert, a little like the i-plate, but with a socket for the VDSL2/ADSL2+ and thus filters all extensions and the usual phone socket.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 11-Apr-11 22:18:07
Print Post

[re: G0AOZ] [link to this post]

As per MrSaffron.

Picture half-way down this page.

If you go to another supplier of Openreach FTTC, rather than BT Infinity, (or I assume BT Total Broadband Option 3 with Fibre), then you don't get a router, just the modem.

The modem can be used directly into the computer ethernet port if routing to other machines isn't needed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User G0AOZ
(member) Tue 12-Apr-11 11:57:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thank you both for your information - very helpful. And good to be reminded of your useful website RobertoS!
  Print Thread

Jump to