General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User scolland
(newbie) Tue 12-Apr-11 22:47:57
Print Post

Is this normal? (Broadband Quality Meter)

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have been using the BBQM for some time, and my graph always looks as follows:

My Broadband Ping

There seems to be a decent chunk of dropped packets and a lot of spikes in the ping. Is this to be expected, or is there a problem?

For info, this is a Be Unlimited line syncing at 5.5Mbps down and 1.1Mbps up.

Thanks

James

Edited by scolland (Tue 12-Apr-11 22:48:30)

Standard User jdowning640
(member) Tue 12-Apr-11 23:15:01
Print Post

Re: Is this normal? (Broadband Quality Meter)

[re: scolland] [link to this post]

I don' think it's normal - are you constantly downloading stuff / torrenting?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 12-Apr-11 23:28:30
Print Post

The thin yellow comb effect is normal if using the supplied TG585V7 router, something to do with it not responding to ping requests consistently without a small time lag here and there, the red Packet Loss can be a cause for concern though, particularly if it keeps re occurring at those amounts, it can have a severe impact on your throughput,even rendering it useless if the packet loss is severe enough, it can usually be seen as errors too which if are high enough can sometimes trigger the Dslam to cause the router to re sync on the fly, as Adsl is rate adaptive the speed may change (usually lower) one consolation is that a manual reboot of your router will more than often restore previous sync speeds

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User noinchki
(member) Wed 13-Apr-11 08:11:47
Print Post

Do you have anything electrical that's turning on at 07:30 and off at 14:30? Central heating? flourescent lights? Do you have a timer?

Edited by noinchki (Wed 13-Apr-11 08:13:03)

Standard User scolland
(newbie) Wed 13-Apr-11 08:34:48
Print Post

[re: noinchki] [link to this post]

To answer all questions, there is absolutely no torrenting / p2p.
To be honest, this is a small office (6 pc's) but internet is quite a small part of what we do. We do occasionally remote in, and there is the obvious Windows updates. I don't have usage stats for Be, but on our last ISP they were consistently under 40GB.

We are not using the Thompson box, we are using a Billion 7800N, so the delay thing shouldn't be an issue.

The red patches are very random, some days there is none, some days between 4pm and 5pm some days for a couple of hours in the morning etc.

We have no internal wiring, the master socket is right where the line enters the building and the router is directly attached to that (I have changed the filtered faceplate and the cable to the router).

Any suggestions?
  Print Thread

Jump to