General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 13-Apr-11 20:59:11
Print Post

Which broadband should I get?

[link to this post]

Frankly, all the broadband comparison websites are just confusing. My current provider is Orange (free with phone) but I want to get a new deal, however by it's own and without any additional phones etc, which I think is only available through mobile broadband.

I'm a gamer and mainly looking for a good latency/ping however I would like (actual) speeds of ~10. Is this possible for under £20 a month?

Cyfer
Standard User john2007
(legend) Wed 13-Apr-11 21:29:27
Print Post

Re: Which broadband should I get?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Could you let us know your exchange? See http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

This allows us to see the choices available to you.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Wed 13-Apr-11 21:31:40
Print Post

If you post your router stats we can give a likely speed estimate. See http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 13-Apr-11 22:08:56
Print Post

We need the info john2007 has asked for, as unfrtounately you need landline broadband even though you don't want the phone service.

The reason being that gaming on mobile broadband is miserable. Pings are all over the place.

What about download amounts, like newsgroups, DVDs, TV catchup etc.? Anyting like that? Or simply gaming, gaming and gaming?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 13-Apr-11 22:15:29
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Exchange: Acton , LWACT, London

Router in not on the router stats website (or I may just not know whether it is 3com or 2 wire). Router: Belkin N+ Model: F5D8235-4

Thank you for your replies.

Cyfer
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 13-Apr-11 22:18:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

:/ That sucks. I've already managed to somehow accumulate 3 different landlines... I don't want a fourth....

What are newsgroups, DVDs, TV Catchup? I'm assuming you mean do I watch TV streamed on websites or if I download large packages regularly?

Regularly - no, and the things I do watch do not require a lot. (Does not exceed 5gig, I think).

Cyfer
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 13-Apr-11 22:28:31
Print Post

Are you saying you have 3 incoming lines with different phone numbers, or three sockets all on the same phone number?

If three numbers then you need to keep the one your Orange broadband is on and cancel the other two. Cancelling costs money if you are in a 12-month contract, but at least you can't forget to cancel at the end!

There are a few options available to you but I'm too knackered to explain them clearly now. Each has good points and bad points and only you can decide. Which is why I need to explain clearly so you don't decide wrongly.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 13-Apr-11 22:33:38
Print Post

Please can you run two speed tests during daylight, and post the results:-

Speedtest .net
thinklbroadband.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 14-Apr-11 09:21:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

3 incoming lines with different phone numbers. Is it essential to cancel one/two of them?

Tests: Speed test:
54m/s ping
5.58mbps downlod
0.49mbps upload

Thinkbl:
Speed down: 5.4mbps
Speed up: 0.5mbps

Cyfer
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Apr-11 09:30:03
Print Post

Well if you don't have a need for 3 different phone numbers then begs the question as to why you are keeping them.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to