General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jdowning640
(member) Thu 14-Apr-11 22:48:41
Print Post

Static IP Issue

[link to this post]

Ok guys so I'm not too techy with static IPs however this is what is happening and my questions.

I was told that by using static IPs, things get sent straight over the internet without going through any firewalls etc. I'm with Aquiss and today I purchased 8 static IP addresses (5 usable).

I use a Netgear modem and the reason I got the static IPs was due to there being a delay in some VoIP calls so wanted to get a direct connection to the internet.

So I had to change my subnet mask to 255.255.255.248 which then only allows me to allow 5 users for DHCP on my router. First of all, if I use all these static IPs myself, if someone pops on my connection, will they be assigned an IP address automatically? What would the IP address be for example, let's say the range of static IPs were 111.111.121-126. Will it not assign them anything?

Also, if my computer has been assigned an IP address automatically, if I go to http://whatismyipaddress.com, should it show that static IP address or should it show that of the routers?
It currently shows the routers even though I'm on a different IP than that.

Any advice guys?

Thanks Jack
Standard User john2007
(legend) Thu 14-Apr-11 23:29:08
Print Post

Re: Static IP Issue

[re: jdowning640] [link to this post]

There may be a terminology mismatch here.

A static IP just means it doesn't change. e.g. my laptop always has a static address of 192.168.0.4.

You have a group of public IP addresses, also called routable IP addresses(which by their nature also happen to be static). Those number are unique to you and no one else in the world can use them. Whereas my local or non-routable IP address is probably shared by millions of computers in the world.

Have a look at http://www.howstuffworks.com/nat.htm
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 15-Apr-11 00:13:25
Print Post

John has answered re a part of the topic. I think you were just referring to the external address(es) assigned to you by your ISP. These can be a single dynamic, single static/fixed, or a group of statics, (multiple static IPs).

Single dynamic is allocated to you each time you connect to the ISP, and comes from a pool the ISP has. ISPs also have to pay to have IP addresses issued to them to allocate to customers, so may decide to pay for 100,000 when they have 150,000 customers, in the expectation that they will never have more than 100,000 trying to connect at the same time.

Some dynamic IP addresses turn out to be very "sticky" - the pool is so arranged that even if you disconnect for a couple of weeks, next time you connect you get the same one. O2/Be for instance. But you cannot rely on this if it matters.

Single fixed means the ISP has to make sure they have enough for every customer who wants one, plus if they also offer dynamic some more for the pool. This is why some ISPs charge extra for a static IP address.

Multiple static IPs like you have just obtained just means that all traffic sent from elsewhere to those addresses all get sent to your router, and in your router you direct each to fixed internal IP addresses, one for each piece of equipment you have connected.

However, re
I was told that by using static IPs, things get sent straight over the internet without going through any firewalls etc.
I believe that to be absolute twaddle. Otherwise anybody wanting to hack into your macine would just get themselves a static IP address and go straight through your router and software firewalls. Clearly this isn't what happens.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GeeTee
(member) Fri 15-Apr-11 00:13:58
Print Post

So following the logic that you use in your post...

111.111.111.120 is your network / subnet address and unusable by any device.
111.111.111.121 would typically be assigned to your Netgear modem for the PPPoE / PPPoA connection (this may need to be entered on the Netgear itself for the connection, or it may be handed out to the Netgear on connection by the Aquiss RADIUS - confirm with them which is required)
111.111.111.122 - 126 are for your other devices. You can assign these manually to devices or configure the Netgear to hand these out using DHCP on your LAN as and when different devices connect to it. Not familiar with Netgears but look for something like LAN DHCP settings in the admin interface.
111.111.111.127 is the broadcast address for you subnet. Any packet arriving to that IP will hit every device in the subnet.

You will need to disable NAT (Network Address Translation) on the Netgear - this is what is making your computer appear with the router's IP.

Big caution - with a routed subnet like this your devices are probably not protected by the Netgear's firewall so will need their own protection.
(member) Fri 15-Apr-11 00:17:45
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

Thanks for all your replies guys.

Just one thing though - whenever all the static IPs have been used up, does it move on to non-static IPs and which address would it use for this?

Whenever I choose the subnet 255.255.255.247 it only lets me select that 5 DHCP users are allowed to join the network.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 15-Apr-11 00:19:31
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GeeTee:
Big caution - with a routed subnet like this your devices are probably not protected by the Netgear's firewall so will need their own protection.
Ah, so that is what he has been told re going straight through firewalls. That makes sense, but it isn't quite what was posted here smile.

i.e. devices need a software firewall? Or some fancier intermediate hardware.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User john2007
(legend) Fri 15-Apr-11 00:22:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I felt that the OP raised a number of topics, and that they might be better addressed individually.

Nothing to do with me not knowing the answer to most of the questions. smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 15-Apr-11 00:28:10
Print Post

whenever all the static IPs have been used up, does it move on to non-static IPs
Does what move on to non-static? Within your LAN, or wrt the outside world? Read John's link.

Your block of 8 is all you have. If you need more then you have to ask for more.

When you say "if someone pops on my connection", what do you mean? A guest connecting wirelessly to your router to get internet access?

(member) Fri 15-Apr-11 00:30:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No so say I have used all of my 5 static IPs for 5 IP phones and they use the static IP range (all I've got) of 111.111.111.210-215.

If, for example, I logged in to the network on a laptop, what would my IP address be if it was assigned automatically seeing as I have no static IPs left?
Standard User john2007
(legend) Fri 15-Apr-11 00:35:37
Print Post

Your router will have one of the public/static/routeable IP addresses assigned to you. Your router will assign your laptop a local/non-routeable IP address, e.g. 192.168.0.5.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to