General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User parkchap
(learned) Sun 17-Apr-11 21:51:56
Print Post

Usefulness of having a "Cease and reprovide"?

[link to this post]

I'm wondering how much getting a "Cease and Reprovide" would solve possible problems on an ADSL2+ setup. You know, asking the ISP to cancel the ADSL and what that involves from BT, then a period of time before re-establishing ADSL with same ISP.

The probs seen are:

a. Sync disconnects. Fairly random, can be long periods between or a bunch of 4,5 within 30mins. No pattern though sometimes more in the evening but could happen anytime. When look at router stats the stability is there when SNR margin is about 9-10db but disconnects occur when it's 6-7db or lower even.

b. DNS issues. Lengthy times "looking up xxxx site", after being on a site for a few minutes even another link on same site can give same response or just a time-out. Wrong addresses for pings and such.

c. Using the bt_test@startup_domain can have the router's "internet light" go red instead of green - green shows being logged in as distinct from the "adsl sync light".

d. Possible cross-linking or interference on phone usage wrt billing, like calls showing on BT bill but were never made from this phone. Although never aware of any vocal cross-talk or excessive wrong numbers.

In fact I wonder if that last one might be the basis of all this.

About the line. Approx 1 mile from exchange, all underground, internal probs can be ruled out (diff routers, sockets etc).

These are questions of what the Cease/reprovide might involve;

Physical change at the exchange to put the line into the pre-adsl basic state?

What length of time between restoring to basic phone line and re-establishing adsl might be necessary?

Going straight to ADSL2+ from this new reprovide is different from the "staged" route previously that went ADSL then ADSL2?

I'm not bothered about any charges involved, though if it went into 3 figures... even so, if it's going to solve it could be a small price.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 17-Apr-11 22:11:58
Print Post

Re: Usefulness of having a "Cease and reprovide"?

[re: parkchap] [link to this post]

Cease &re-provide would have to be a cease order(£40.00) approx should the isp pass this charge on and then once the isp's tag has cleared you would be able to order an adsl service,
cease & re provide usually is a migration from one isp to another,
but a cease and return to same isp is unlikely to solve anything, you would just be going around in circles and possibly incurring unnecessary costs too ,
as the issue could be with the isp or it's network ect
A migration to a another isp preferably one that offers its broadband via LLU (own network) such as be*/o2, or any other llu isp that offers SMPF

But if you have a fault with the line or interference from something anywhere between your master socket and the exchange then this will more than likely follow you, but it may not have the same impact on your connection or it may be more severe, crystal ball time I'm afraid
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 17-Apr-11 22:18:32
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

The physical change i think you mean is a tie pair swap or line card replacement, maybe, but that would only solve the problem if they where faulty,
As for dns errors i doubt that any dns server has 100% uptime, just use open dns or Google ect
to check what isp's offer llu in your connected exchange see Sam knows

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GeeTee
(member) Sun 17-Apr-11 22:51:50
Print Post

A lot of providers do so called records only ceases with Openreach. The cabling is left unchanged, just the configuration removed that routes your traffic to the ISP. This is why you quite often find when moving into a property that you can get adsl synch on the line.

Unless there is a shortage of ports at the exchange the line will stay like this indefinitely.

The theory is to prevent unneccesary frames engineer work. i.e. if your service is with a BTWholesale ISP - you then cease the service. The likelihood is the next dsl service activated on the line will also be with a BTWholesale ISP - all BTW have to do is remotely put the configuration in place to route the traffic rather than physically cable anything up. They still charge the ISP the same activation fee of course smile

Only way to definitely get a wiring change in the exchange is to move from a BTW provided service to one of the LLU operators or vice versa. This is only an option if there are any LLU operators serving your exchange. What does Sam Knows say? http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

edit - for bbcode fail

Edited by GeeTee (Sun 17-Apr-11 22:52:37)

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-Apr-11 23:57:14
Print Post

Have you asked the ISP to look at doing a TPM, which would effectively be a cease and re-provide without the cost.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 18-Apr-11 12:17:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by parkchap:
d. Possible cross-linking or interference on phone usage wrt billing, like calls showing on BT bill but were never made from this phone. Although never aware of any vocal cross-talk or excessive wrong numbers.

Have you followed this up?

Could someone have tapped into your line - accidentally or deliberately? They then make calls and that causes your line to drop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User parkchap
(learned) Mon 18-Apr-11 23:41:46
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:
Have you asked the ISP to look at doing a TPM, which would effectively be a cease and re-provide without the cost.

Matt

Ahh, another acronym. smile TPM is...?

Thanks to others. Seems mostly that it may not be worthwhile wrt any physical change as I get the point about staying within the BT Wholesale circuit.

I did complain about my bill and got a refund, whether anything was done, maybe as latest bill seems correct, but all the other things related to ADSL still occur. ISP made some effort to try things but no change really.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 19-Apr-11 05:59:34
Print Post

Do you mean a "lift and shift"?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Apr-11 20:53:55
Print Post

TPM = Tie Pair Modification. Still has the associated downtime.

Print Thread

Jump to