General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User macca_123
(newbie) Tue 19-Apr-11 19:53:01
Print Post

Problems with speed that is being supplied

[link to this post]

Hello everyone first time poster , so be gentle. Ihave a speed issue with my ISP BT Internet, i left my old isp nildram after 4 or 5 years they were taken over by Talk Talk, but i did not fancy staying with them. So decided on BT, moved on the 18/03/11, they told me i should get the same speed i was getting with nildram 3.5Mb, i also checked ther checker out and it said 3.5Mb. after 10 days my speed was and still is 500kb, have been through the indian call centre and am to wait another 48 hrs for my speed to move, still sitting at 500kb after 24 hrs.
The broadband availability checker says my line would support a adsl max broadband line speed of 3.5Mbps typically would range between 2.5 and 4.5 Mbps
this is the info from my router which is the new type of bt router

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 10:33:58
Downstream: 576 Kbps
Upstream: 288 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up): 28.7 dB / 24.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 50.1 dB / 28.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 16.8 dBm / 11.7 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 82 / 28
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 38 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 8 / 15

This is the reading from bt speed test

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
401 Kbps

0 Kbps 500 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 401 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-500 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :576 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 288 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 500 Kbps
Now i have said to the people in india that i personally can't see the speed getting any higher while the IP Profile is set to 500Kbps , and to cap it all off my son is moaning that if they can not keep to what they said we should go elswhere, but my view is it wouldn't get any better as the same equipment is in use,+it's a 18 month contract, and no offence to the people in the call centre but i want this escalated to get it repaired, so any help would be appreciated.
macca_123
P.S. sorry for it being so long
Standard User john2007
(legend) Tue 19-Apr-11 20:19:43
Print Post

Re: Problems with speed that is being supplied

[re: macca_123] [link to this post]

You are on a fixed 512kbps product (the 576/288 are extremely unlikely on Max ADSL). Complain to your ISP and ask to be put on the Max ADSL product.
Standard User macca_123
(newbie) Wed 20-Apr-11 09:13:46
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Phoned up the call centre today as about this and they say i am on max adsl, and am now on another 24hr testing of the line, boy my line must be the most tested line out,otherwise no change on speed.
thanks for the info though, i might eventialy get through the brick wall one day

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Finguz
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Apr-11 09:28:07
Print Post

i might eventialy get through the brick wall one day

Only if you change ISP, good luck smile

My Broadband Speed Test

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Apr-11 09:36:16
Print Post

[re: Finguz] [link to this post]

Not a fixed product, but yes it is Max, but it appears you are on a Home 500 fixed profile on Max, very rare event and stats suggest that doing this was the wrong thing to do.

Support needs to understand this and that with those stats more should be possible.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User macca_123
(newbie) Wed 20-Apr-11 12:56:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well just recieved a message that they will call me this evening, and it will be a opeworld engineer that i will be speaking to. So i will put your ideas to him, could this be a crack in the wall to BT , somehow i don't think so, will let u know how it goes.
P.S. can't afford to drop the 18 month contract and i am sure the son and daughter won't want o give BT money for nothing.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Apr-11 13:07:46
Print Post

Openreach implies they are looking at this as a line fault.

It would be someone from BT Wholesale if they were looking at the line profile side of things.

ISP can see what profile the line has been assigned, and reset all of this too.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User macca_123
(newbie) Wed 20-Apr-11 21:00:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well just had my call from the call centre, they say i am not on a fixed rate and that i should be getting a higher speed, they are sending a engineer to check at the exchange and to visit me at my end, to make sure all is well. They will not be at the exchange till 27/04/11 so will let u know how things go from then.
thanks for all the help so far
macca_123
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Apr-11 17:08:01
Print Post

I had a big problem with BT and trying to get my brothers line profile changed. I gave up it was to much hassle, BT don't listen! See my twitter for the exchange of tweets between @BTCare and myself.

Make sure that your ISP knows you will not pay for the engineer visit as it is not needed.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 22-Apr-11 20:48:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by macca_123:
Well just had my call from the call centre, they say i am not on a fixed rate and that i should be getting a higher speed, they are sending a engineer to check at the exchange and to visit me at my end, to make sure all is well. They will not be at the exchange till 27/04/11 so will let u know how things go from then.
thanks for all the help so far
macca_123
That's just ludicrous. It say "You, the customer, are a pain in the ass - we have things to do more important than a simple fix on an incorrectly configured line".

Whilst I sort of agree with your reason for moving from your previous ISP, I assume you know what to do about your questionable choice come the end of the 18 months smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to