Hi folks, I am having a really tough time with my non-LLU ADSL Max connection
I've had this issue ever since the line was installed about 4 years ago, and it only seems to happen during the spring/summer months. I have been with various ISP's during this time, including o2, Vivaciti, ADSL24 and Zen.
The problem can be seen by this graph.
Before and after the drop out is pretty much what my connection is like; it is a little slower than expected, but that will be a separate issue as I had this same problem with other ISP's, but you can clearly see the problem I have. This is a frequent occurrence, at least twice a day, random times, and for random intervals.
The thing to keep in mind is that the router is still convinced it is connected to the net, and at no time does it go down. Rebooting when this happens has no effect. This is a wired connection, and as it affects other devices connected too, it cannot be a problem with those either (I have tested extensively with single devices - PC, laptop, PS3, all connected separately or together - believe me when I say I have tested pretty much everything I can think of).
My current router stats at the time of this particular outage:
DSL Status: Up
DSL Modulation Mode: GDMT
DSL Path Mode: FAST
Downstream Rate: 8128 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 448 Kbps
Downstream Margin: 9db
Upstream Margin: 22db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 30
Upstream Line Attenuation: 16
Downstream Transmit Power: 19
Upstream Transmit Power: 11
Of course I have used various other routers such as an o2 box II, bt home hub v2 and my current Buffalo n-draft.
I have no extensions on my phoneline, and I have used various filters, and also used the test socket.
I already have asked my ISP, but as I have asked others to no effect, I was hoping you guys may be able to shed some light on it.
For the record, I live in the middle of a farmland area, so not inner city or anything like that. My net speed is usually pretty good, 800+KB/s, although currently Vivacity is letting me down a little on that front right now.