General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User infobleep
(newbie) Thu 28-Apr-11 09:33:36
Print Post

Moved to new house but previous owners line still conected

[link to this post]

Dear all

Having searched on-line I am struggling to find an answer to the following, although I'm sure the answer is out there.

I have just bought a house and moved to it. I tried to order O2 broadband and home phone, using the current telephone number but they couldn't do anything without a MAC code which I don't have for obvious reasons.

There is a phone line, which I can even dial out from. However I can only assume I have no authorisation over it because it must still be under the previous owners name. The replies from the owners solicitors, prior to the sale, said they were with Intec-Telecom Systems and I know from a check on O2 Web Site that they had a business line installed.

The owners, having split up, have left Guildford. So clearly they are not wishing to keep the number but apparently either of them could take the line if they wished. There are two options but I am not sure which if either would work:
1. Getting hold of the previous owners and asking them to get a MAC code and allow me to take ownership of the line. My solicitors, being as helpful as ever, only informed me after the purchase had been completed, that I should contact my estate agent to arrange the transfer of the ownership of the line.

2. Get a new line put in. However given that the line is still physically connected, how can I get a new line put in? If they can disconnect the current line and number and connect me, why can't I just take over the current phone number, given that I am still in the same house? Is that because the owners might wish to keep the number.

3. At what point would the number be deactivated and the line cleared for me use if nothing was done?

Thank you for reading
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Apr-11 10:52:06
Print Post

Re: Moved to new house but previous owners line still conect

[re: infobleep] [link to this post]

Put you # in here: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If it says you can have BB then you have a BT phone line. You don't need a MAC; you just need to get the line rental in your name and then put in an order for BB. This should work as my daughter left her old place w/out doing anything and not long after got a letter from her old ISP informing her that her line was being taken over.

However, if the BT Checker says you don't have a BT line, you need to find out who owns it and get the # transferred to BT. Perhaps you can find out by dialling 100 or 150.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User infobleep
(newbie) Thu 28-Apr-11 14:03:32
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thank you for your reply XRaySpeX

I rang up BT and they said they could transfer the line to me. There would be an 11 day cease and transfer notice period and then it could happen. However if I did that I would be tied into a 12 month contract with BT and my over all aim was to sign up with O2 for both home phone and broadband. I don't want a BT contract for 12 months first.

However I have also spoken to my estate agent and his is in the process of contacting the sellers of the property so they might be able to cease the line. Currently they still have an active line and if I made any calls they would be charged. I know this from dialling my mobile and that ringing.

If I had known about this issue before I completed the house purchase I would have instructed my solicitors not to complete until the line was ceased, especially as the sellers were not living there by this point. However my solicitors only informed me of this issue once the exchange had occurred and I only got their letter after I had completed.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User huwwatkins
(regular) Thu 28-Apr-11 14:43:07
Print Post

You could try using the post office to transfer the line. They will do everything that BT would have done but you will end up with no contract.

Edited by huwwatkins (Thu 28-Apr-11 15:09:45)

Standard User trolleybus
(learned) Thu 28-Apr-11 15:29:00
Print Post

[re: huwwatkins] [link to this post]

Virgin cable is perhaps an alternative way forward. Whatever problems are on the existing phone line they can then remain for ever and a day.

You don't have to take up the option of a virgin phone service but could instead use just mobiles or sign up to a VoIP provider. Taking this route you will have an end date for a service running in your new home unlike trying to clear down the line to enable O2 services to be supplied which could run on for weeks, if not months.

DCB
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Apr-11 18:39:20
Print Post

Re: Moved to new house but previous owners line still connec

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
Whatever problems are on the existing phone line they can then remain for ever and a day.
So sayeth a pessimist!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User diggsy
(member) Thu 28-Apr-11 18:57:24
Print Post

O2 should be able to set you up themselves no matter who had the line, once the current owners cease order has gone through - "Most people can get a home phone with us, and we are able to install new landlines or switch you over from other providers if required. There's an £86.81 charge if we need to send an engineer out to put in a new line. For some existing landlines, we'll need convert the line to the right kind of technology - if this is required, there'll be a charge of £45.96"

http://broadband.o2.co.uk/home/questions.jsp
Standard User infobleep
(newbie) Mon 02-May-11 10:03:54
Print Post

[re: diggsy] [link to this post]

Thank you for all your replies. If I ask BT to cease the line, will they only do this if I sign up to them or can they do it regardless?

I've found getting lines ceased isn't so well documented on-line or may be my searches are just not bringing up the right results.

Kind regards
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 02-May-11 13:26:18
Print Post

You are aware that even if you take the BT line takeover, you don't have to have their broadband? So you could still have the O2 broadband. You wouldn't be able to order the O2 until it was up and running though.

In many cases the cost savings of O2 Home Phone are marginal, especially if you get a free takeover of the line by BT, where many others including O2 will possibly charge for the takeover.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User infobleep
(newbie) Tue 03-May-11 12:01:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply Roberto.

How much is the charge to take over a line? Why would people switch phone providers if they charge you to take over the line. Surely everyone would remain with BT, to avoid the line take over charge. Or does this charge only occur if changing from one named person on a phone line to another?

Kind regards
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to