General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Spetznaz
(experienced) Tue 03-May-11 19:50:48
Print Post

Advice for business connection

[link to this post]

Hi

I work for a small business in south wiltshire, currently we are with BT on some sort of adsl business package, unfortunately we are on a long line (around 5.5km) and therefore we only get a 1.5mbit connection.

The exchange we are on is
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/STWLTON

As you can see it is very limited in options and Virgin dont cover our area but is there any advice from some of the very knowledgable people on here that can be offered as to if/how we can improve things?, cost unfortunately is an issue and I think I would find it hard to justify anything over £200pm to my superior.

Thank you for anything you can add as I am stuck for ideas!.
Standard User jdowning640
(member) Tue 03-May-11 19:56:22
Print Post

Re: Advice for business connection

[re: Spetznaz] [link to this post]

Can you post your router stats? See here for details: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

'BET' may be an option if you are getting below 2Mbps. It basically bonds two lines together to double your speed however it can be expensive. In Northern Ireland, they're giving BET free for the same price as ordinary ADSL broadband under a scheme under the Northern Ireland assembly to small businesses.

If you post your router stats and what speed you get from http://speedtest.net using a local server we'll be able to see better how you can improve your speed.

Also - are you near a cabinet which is FTTC enabled? If you are 5.5km from the exchange and there is a cabinet 0.5 miles away then you'd be able to get a lot higher speeds with fibre to the cabinet technology.
For information on this, click the link here > http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
and post the results here... block out your phone number at the top of the page.

Thanks,

Jack

EDIT: Sorry - just seen your 1.5Mbps speed. Can you still post router stats?

Edited by jdowning640 (Tue 03-May-11 19:57:37)

Standard User john2007
(legend) Tue 03-May-11 19:57:44
Print Post

You could install additional lines and load balance between them with an appropriate router.

What do you need? Higher speeds for a single user or more capacity to service multiple users at the same time?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 03-May-11 20:31:59
Print Post

What modem & router do you currently have?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Spetznaz
(experienced) Tue 03-May-11 22:04:46
Print Post

[re: jdowning640] [link to this post]

Router line stats:

ADSL Status Mode State Up Speed Down Speed SNR Margin Loop Att.
G.DMT SHOWTIME 448000 1728000 11 55

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1280137977.png

Edited by Spetznaz (Tue 03-May-11 22:16:48)

Standard User Spetznaz
(experienced) Tue 03-May-11 22:12:31
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Hi

Its a Vigor 2820
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-May-11 22:41:54
Print Post

[re: jdowning640] [link to this post]

'BET' isn't an option. The chances of the exchange being kitted out for it are slim to none, and even if it were, he is already getting better speeds then he would with a bonded BET service, cheaper too.

Standard User jdowning640
(member) Tue 03-May-11 22:52:45
Print Post

You might be better moving to Aquiss or ADSL24 as on their business packages they offer 832Kbps upload speed which may make a slight difference & there is lower contention (20:1 I believe) on their office/business packages.

Aquiss definitely do it, not sure about Dave at ADSL24 however it is a 1 month contract and there's nothing to lose. I moved to Aquiss on one line and am deciding Aquiss/ADSL24 on the other and aquiss have been great.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 03-May-11 22:58:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by Spetznaz:
Router line stats:

ADSL Status Mode State Up Speed Down Speed SNR Margin Loop Att.
G.DMT SHOWTIME 448000 1728000 11 55

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1280137977.png
You probably have an internal wiring problem there as well as the line length. With 55dB attenuation you should be connecting well above 2.5Mbps, and possibly as high as 4Mbps.

Is there a history of instability?

The most obvious cause is the high noise margin, of 11dB. We need to know what it is immediately after a reconnection, and if you could do that reconnection during daylight, with the filter plugged directly into the test socket, that's the one on the wall at the back if you carefully open the master socket like this.

Don't use a phone extension cable between the filter and the socket.

Post the stats like that if you can please smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 03-May-11 23:12:27
Print Post

Can you borrow a BT Business hub? 2wire 2700HG-V On a long line they are one of the best to use and will often give a measurable improvement.

Try that and tidy up internally, do a few tests with just the modem on the line - no phones, no extensions &c .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to