General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User NT06
(newbie) Mon 16-May-11 20:47:05
Print Post

Need Some Advice Please - Moving into New Flat in Manchester

[link to this post]

Hey Guys,

I'm an international student and will be moving in to a private flat in June. Have been staying in halls before this so I'm not really sure about getting broadband for my new flat. Got a couple of quick questions and I hope you will be able to help me out. Also, will definitely be staying there for 6 months, but I have not confirm whether I will be there for any longer. Therefore I will not be able to sign any 12-month contracts.

The agency recommended Virgin because they have their cabling in my building, but I have seen that only O2, BE and Plusnet offer any type of service that doesn't come with a 12-month contract. However, doing a check on [Samknows BB Checker] , O2/BE doesn't service my area. This only leaves me with Plusnet? How good/reliable is their service since I don't really have the choice of providers? Also, how long will it take from the subscription date till actual service commences? Am asking because I want to know if I should subscribe even before I move in, so I can have internet access from day 1.

Also, is there a possibility that other providers who typically do 12-month minimum contract create a 'package' for me? Or does that just not happen in the UK? Because it looks like Virgin does a good deal as well.

Next, should I get the router provided by the ISP or will I be better off purchasing one on my own? (i.e. Plusnet is £40 + £5 p&p)

Last, had just played around with the subscription process for Plusnet and they say that I require a "Compatible Phone Service" and they want to charge me for line rental + phone installation. I know that my flat has a BT line because the agency said so, but how does this work in the UK? Do I have to have a home phone line that I pay for every month, i.e. a proper number 0161......, before I can access the internet? Or can I just go and get a broadband only package? Am asking because as a student, I have a mobile and I will have no need for a home phone line. No point incurring extra costs.

FYI, the postcode of the place that I will be moving in is M1 7AJ. (Manchester City Centre, near the main train station)

Sorry if I'm asking these questions, I'm not from the UK and don't really know how these things work. Thanks for reading this and I really appreciate if you could help me out!

Cheers,
Nicholas
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-May-11 20:59:30
Print Post

Re: Need Some Advice Please - Moving into New Flat in Manche

[re: NT06] [link to this post]

Your problem may be the voice line needed for ADSL.
Most (if not all) telephone line providers have minimum 12, 18 or 24 month contracts.
That's not to say you can't have a phone line for a shorter period, but you will be liable for the difference (between what you've paid so far and what you should have paid if you'd seen out the contract).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-May-11 21:03:29
Print Post

Last only: Unless you take cable like Virgin, you will always need a BT Wholesale owned phone line, which your flat appears to already have, to have most BBs on it. You might need to get BT Retail to activate it and put it in your name. You will have to pay line rental on it. They may even insist on a 12 or 18 month contract. You could also rent it from the Post Office, who I believe do monthly contracts but might charge more to activate it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-May-11 22:19:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by NT06:
Therefore I will not be able to sign any 12-month contracts.

That will be the biggest issue, as almost all service providers for phone will need a 12month contract, and you need that to get any ADSL service.

You might want to look into Three's mobile broadband:
http://threestore.three.co.uk/broadband/

Click on the boxes to switch between PAYG with the premium (faster) or normal dongles, or the MiFi pay monthly or PAYG plans.

The PAYG deals can include 5gb or more per month, and if you go over the allowance, you just buy another set .

Assuming you can get a good 3 signal at your place.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 17-May-11 00:10:02
Print Post

Plusnet do monthly contracts for phone and broadband, as you have found. But you cannot have the phone unless you have the broadband. With Plusnet you need to be aware of their traffic management.

I suggest you get the phone line from the Post Office, as that is monthly contract, and broadband from vivaciti, whose Family Packages have unlimited night-time allowance and are monthly contract. Family 30 is the most popular.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 18-May-11 11:15:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Our phone lines are also on a monthly contract.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
  Print Thread

Jump to