General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wrtpeeps
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-May-11 23:57:30
Print Post

Fibre

[link to this post]

There was a thing in the local paper this week that my town has been upgraded to fibre cabling of some sort which enables speeds of up to 40meg.

What ISP's would offer this service or how do I find out?

Signature.
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-May-11 00:14:18
Print Post

Re: Fibre

[re: wrtpeeps] [link to this post]

blame Sinn Fein (Super Fibre in oirish)

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-May-11 00:17:29
Print Post

See if your exchange has been upgraded to FTTC on SamKnows. Then RobertoS has a list of ISPs doing Fibre over BTw.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wrtpeeps
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-May-11 17:12:35
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

FTTC status:
Available in some areas

Signature.
Standard User jdowning640
(member) Fri 20-May-11 17:16:25
Print Post

Type your telephone number into this link:

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Copy and paste it back in here (removing your telephone number and exchange if you like). We'll tell you what you can get.

Check out this page by RobertoS here on the forums for a list of suppliers:
http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/isps_offering_fttc.html

get back to us - thanks!
Standard User wrtpeeps
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-May-11 19:50:15
Print Post

[re: jdowning640] [link to this post]

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2Mbps and 5.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2.5Mbps and 6.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 13.3Mbps and upstream line speed of 4.8Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Note: If you already have a Broadband service enabled on this line and you want to switch service providers, you will need to contact both your current provider and your new provider to get your service changed over new and existing service provider to have this service transferred.

Signature.
Standard User jdowning640
(member) Fri 20-May-11 21:22:44
Print Post

BT Retail won't place orders for speeds that are on the checker as 15Mbps and below, however if you call them you can ask for their 'Option 3 with Fibre' product which bypasses this and you will probably get in the region of 20-30Mbps as the checker understates things very much.

However, I'd not go with BT, they are ridiculous with traffic shaping and their support is awful.

Might be better looking at these (in no particular order):

Aquiss
Plusnet
ADSL24

They all have contacts on these forums, Martin from Aquiss, Dave from Plusnet and James from ADSL24. They can place manual orders and I believe they don't traffic shape and on their business packages the traffic is a little less contended.

http://adsl24.co.uk
http://aquiss.net
http://plusnet.com

Let me know how it goes on.

Jack
Standard User wrtpeeps
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-May-11 23:25:38
Print Post

[re: jdowning640] [link to this post]

I've heard loads of horror stories on here about plusnet, have they improved over the past few years?

ADSL24 look good.

Signature.

Edited by wrtpeeps (Fri 20-May-11 23:27:30)

Standard User thomaswarne01
(newbie) Sat 06-Aug-11 23:17:36
Print Post

Plusnet have got better on traffice shaping, if that helps.

Standard User thomaswarne01
(newbie) Sat 06-Aug-11 23:25:39
Print Post

[re: thomaswarne01] [link to this post]

they do have a list of throttling on their website

Edited by thomaswarne01 (Sat 06-Aug-11 23:27:05)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to