General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jdowning640
(member) Sat 21-May-11 15:15:36
Print Post

New Line from Pole

[link to this post]

Hi guys,

You may know me from my other threads regarding my latency issues however this is a different issue.

On the line of which I was mentioning before, I got a new line replaced from the pole to the premises... on another line, if I needed this done, what would happen? Would they have to dig up the road and bring more cables from the exchange (or where would they bring it from?)

Thanks

Jack
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sat 21-May-11 15:28:12
Print Post

Re: New Line from Pole

[re: jdowning640] [link to this post]

As far as I know the cable to each house carries two lines (four wires, two pairs) of which only one is normally used.

I'd expect the installer to use the closest unused pair to your house.
(member) Sat 21-May-11 15:29:04
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Sorry, forgot to mention - the last engineer was out said that there was no more available pairs on the pole.

Jack

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User john2007
(legend) Sat 21-May-11 15:30:26
Print Post

Next pole down then, ad infinitum (as far as I know).
(member) Sat 21-May-11 15:31:01
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

And there seems to be noise on one of my neighbours phones & 2 of my lines - could that mean a fault in the area?
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sat 21-May-11 15:35:14
Print Post

Perhaps, perhaps not. What you need is a trainee BT engineer with time and something to prove! smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 21-May-11 16:08:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by jdowning640:
Sorry, forgot to mention - the last engineer was out said that there was no more available pairs on the pole.

Jack

The job would be returned to planning to upgrade the cable to have more capacity, or renewed with a cable of the current size if it had gone faulty between the pole and the next jointing point back, and all spare pairs had been used.

On an installation job, the engineer may be told by the planner to DACS two non-adsl lines to free up a pair for a circuit which is going to carry broadband. If the circuit is not going to carry broadband, then it may well be provided as a DACS if line plant is running at capacity.
  Print Thread

Jump to