General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User elevator
(regular) Sat 21-May-11 15:49:12
Print Post

BT

[link to this post]

Just for a change not BT bashing

Why is it everyone seems to want to use someone other than BT most of the resellers just do that re sell BT wholesale and as far as I can find at not much if any cheaper.

I have been with BT from dialup, adsl, adsl2 now fibre

I have had problems in the past and gone through the whole call centre scrip’s but if your persistent you normally can someone helpful.

My service has never completely failed that I can remember slowed yes but now good service.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User jdowning640
(member) Sat 21-May-11 17:13:06
Print Post

Re: BT

[re: elevator] [link to this post]

I think many of us have had problems with BT in the past - some people find it great but I'd prefer to have that personal touch with someone you can actually understand with smaller resellers.

If it works for you, then great! It does for many others but I think I'd rather give my money to the small business industry which has struggled over the past few years rather than the big multi-national company such as BT.
Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 21-May-11 17:17:33
Print Post

>>Why is it everyone seems to want to use someone other than BT

Everyone doesn't. Most people choose BT Broadband and their market share is growing.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nelix01
(member) Sat 21-May-11 17:36:09
Print Post

[re: RandomJointer] [link to this post]

What is typical is that you only see people with issues post on forums. I too have been with BT from dial-up and now fibre (8 years) with a few minor issues but overall I am very happy with the services being provided. In fact I have just take out a BT Vision service with the veiw of replacing Sky when more channels are added.

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-May-11 18:49:19
Print Post

Sounds like you are lucky and are on a good line/exchange and have lots of options available - I would love FTTC!

Other providers don't just 'resell BT' - they have to use some of BT's infrastructure for the 'last mile' but things (capacity/congestion) are then very different!

I'll let the 'resellers' explain more!

So, glad to hear you are happy with your BT service smile

Standard User JNeuhoff
(committed) Sat 21-May-11 18:59:41
Print Post

Glad to hear yours work.

Many other providers do not just resell BT services, but are able to offer genuinely better and more reliable broadband services via LLU because they use their own equipment at the exchange, and their own backbone networks.

In our case we pay half the price for a LLU-based broadband service which is 3 times faster than any of the BT-based (BT or reseller) services could offer in our town. And it's only roughly half the price.

J.Neuhoff - MHC Web Design

Edited by JNeuhoff (Sat 21-May-11 19:02:07)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 21-May-11 20:13:42
Print Post

[re: JNeuhoff] [link to this post]

are you saying that all llu services are carried on independant networks completely seperate from btws backhaul at all points?

i am struggling a little to believe that im afraid
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 21-May-11 20:45:50
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

It's only the local loop that is unbundled ....... isn't it???

Harry
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 21-May-11 21:03:22
Print Post

hi i would NOT have bt as it costs a lot MORE and when you can get a better service for phone landline and broadband for less charges
Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 21-May-11 23:37:44
Print Post

[re: jdowning640] [link to this post]

>>I'd rather give my money to the small business industry which has struggled over the past few years rather than the big multi-national company such as BT.

I have seen 'providers' marketing on Thinkbroadband over the years that are undischarged bankrupts. Providers that claim to be giving profits to 'worthy causes' yet are not giving money to worthy causes and providers that offer overpriced offerings for under allowance services.

In a free market, punters are free to choose poor value and barrow boy providers to serve their needs.

Indeed, some people may post in search of reassurance for their choices. Some maybe tiny provider sock puppets, some may make their living marketing on forums for free such as ThinkBroadband.

The fact is that by far and large, most people choose BT, Talk Talk and Sky for adsl services.

The recent results show BT are the winner of market share, Sky is second and Talk Talk are a lacklustre third.

The people have shown what they want and the serious players give people what they want.

In my view, the rest are simply also rans fighting for tiny market share relying on mugs, sock puppets and overpriced services marketed by fans on forums.

Edited by RandomJointer (Sat 21-May-11 23:50:10)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to