General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 25-May-11 23:12:25
Print Post

Starting up Broadband again

[link to this post]

Hi,

When I lived at home we had broadband from AOL starting sometime in the nineties and when I left last year we had it cancelled.

Our phone line was done separately through talktalk and has also been cancelled

Is it possible for me to order any broadband package online and have them set everything up for me? or will I need to reactive my talktalk line separately and then order broadband.

also I have no idea if my aol broadband was LLU(I assume it was) will this cause additional issues ?
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Wed 25-May-11 23:17:09
Print Post

Re: Starting up Broadband again

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

If you know your exchange we can probably give slightly better advice regarding your options. Go to 'samknows' to find your exchange.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 26-May-11 11:52:08
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SMBB

That's my exchange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(legend) Thu 26-May-11 12:21:04
Print Post

Well it seems banbury is ADSL2+ and LLU, and has an FTTC date (although I wouldn't rely on the date per say).

You can find out your estimated speeds here.

You can see on the samknows results the LLU operators available. Regarding BT phone line, start here. Best to contact BT for info on any costs you might have. If the there's a working phone line in place the costs should be minimal (if at all).

From the BT site:

Call

From a landline dial:
0800 800 150

From a mobile dial:
0330 123 4150*

Opening hours
To place an order: Monday to Friday 8am to 9pm, Saturday 8am to 8pm, Sunday 9am to 6pm
For other enquiries: Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, Saturday 9am to 6pm, Sunday closed

If you need to call us from abroad, you can reach us on +44 179 359 8718. The cost of the call will depend on which country you are calling from.

I stress that this is just the enquiry to see what line installation costs might be. Once that's established you can start thinking about which phone provider / ISP, based on your requirements and budget.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 26-May-11 16:55:17
Print Post

Ok thanks, I was looking at O2 and plusnet atm, and plusnet for example say with a BT phone socket they will set up my line first and give me a new number.

I can't seem to find any additional set up costs for this so does this mean I can just avoid going through BT completely? because I really don't want the 12 month contract if I sign up again to BT
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Thu 26-May-11 17:10:12
Print Post

Phone line faq. Give them a call to find out about your line status.

http://www.plus.net/support/phone/home_phone/phone_f...

If you do decide to use Plusnet, and have no other person in mind, I wouldn't say no to the referral. grin

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-May-11 21:30:16
Print Post

I would query both Plusnet and O2 as being top of the list.

Plusnet because it is not LLU so inherently inferior to LLU, plus its traffic management, and O2 LLU because of its heavy traffic management and FUPs these days. Things have changed at O2 since it was the top recommendation. See my ISP tips for more detail on both.

I suggest you consider Be.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Fri 27-May-11 21:39:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Plusnet because it is not LLU so inherently inferior to LLU, plus its traffic management, and O2 LLU because of its heavy traffic management and FUPs these days.

In what way is Plusnet inferior to LLU?

Surely you mean ADSLmax? ADSL2+? In what way precisely is ADSL2+ inferior to LLU?

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 27-May-11 21:40:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by camieabz:
In what way is Plusnet inferior to LLU?
DLM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Fri 27-May-11 22:02:26
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

DLM isn't bad per say. Quite handy if you have intermittant line problems. Never experienced DLM on my line.

Given that BE offer 12 Meg for £17.00 or Plusnet's 20 Meg (no speed limit if the line is capable) for £6.49 if not a heavy user, 11.49 if otherwise.

Perhaps the OP needs to specify the priorities. Price or bandwidth? Traffic management or not?

Anyway, I don't want an ISP slagging match. It was a bit of a joke, since the OP mentioned PN first.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by camieabz (Fri 27-May-11 22:03:36)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to