General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Dick_B
(regular) Sat 28-May-11 16:16:30
Print Post

Broadband Re-Syncs

[link to this post]

When I unplug my phone from the master socket my broadband modem does a full resync. Is this normal?

My phone is connected to the master socket via a filter and it is the filter that I am unplugging from the socket. My broadband modem is in an upstairs room connected to the back of the faceplate of the master socket by cabling that runs through the wall, then outside the house before re-entering the upstairs room. Only two wires are used connected to connections 2 and 5. The sync rate is only slightly higher when the phone is disconnected, 200/300k on a 13M sync.
Standard User Ribble
(member) Sat 28-May-11 19:37:23
Print Post

Re: Broadband Re-Syncs

[re: Dick_B] [link to this post]

Are you able to test the connection by connecting the modem direct to the test socket inside the master ?
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Sat 28-May-11 20:10:52
Print Post

Re: Broadband Re-Syncs

[re: Dick_B] [link to this post]

This is expected, it's happened to me too when I pulled out a filter in the bedroom on an extension socket (modem is connected directly to master socket via filter).

This is simply because you are messing with a device (a filter) which is directly connected to your extension wiring loop, and doing an unclean disconnect (there really is no option to do a clean one in this case), you break that connection in an abrupt fashion, causing a spike of noise to enter onto that loop, which then subsequently gets into your broadband signal, and is then passed through to your modem via the other filter.

Remember, the filter's job is not to filter noise on your line - it's simply to separate the 2 frequency bands which are sharing the same line (voice, up to 3 or 4khz, ADSL up to 1.1Mhz, or in the case of ADSL2+, all the way up to 2.2Mhz).

Now on <aaisp.net>
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?

Edited by mixt (Sat 28-May-11 20:23:52)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to